how to measure and cut baseboard

Old 01-27-07, 05:29 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to measure and cut baseboard

For some reason I can figure this out. I have the cutting down, but Im having a hard time getting the right lenght. Its easy to measure and cut a straight live, but how do you measure and cut a 45. Im having the biggest trouble when I have to cut 2 45 on each side and getting the right length to fit the wall. Does any of this make sense?? TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-07, 07:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
Welcome to the forums

If I understand correctly your problem is with the outside corners. Measure the wall lenght, mark your base on the inside and then cut the 45` out from that point. Better to start a tad long and sand or trim to fit - for some reason it's always easier to take away than add to material

Old 01-27-07, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
I'm not quite sure I understand the problem. When you cut a piece that has 45s on both ends, you have 2 "long points". I mark the length on the back side of the base, then transfer that to the front where I can see the line. Then when you cut the miters, make sure you leave the line on the back side.

Old 01-28-07, 01:44 AM
J
I'm not sure I understand either but I think you're trying to do an outside miter corner.

Outside corners aren't exactly sharp so I hold a short piece of 1x4 against the wall that I'm measuring to. Use the straight edge of the board to take the measurement. For an outside corner you'll have the measurement of the wall side of the base board. I would mark the base board on the wall side of the board and use a speed square to extend the line across the base board. If it's a small base I just stand it up against the fence of the miter saw with the line side showing and cut to it. For taller base I lay it down with the line showing and make a bevel cut. For outside corners I cut the pieces on both sides of the corner and fit them both at the same time. And do leave both pieces at least 1/16 long so you can nibble them back to fit.

Post back if I misunderstood.

Jan

Old 01-28-07, 08:32 AM
W
Just like skinning a cat, lots of ways that work.
If I read your post correctly you are having difficulty cutting a base to the right length when you have two outside corners. I usually cut the miter on one end, put the piece in place and mark the inside of the base where it meets the wall at the other end.
Most of the time I bevel cut base miters. I get a sraighter cut with the piece laying flat on the table than with it vertical.