Joist Hangers for 70+ year old lumber?

Old 01-29-07, 06:37 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joist Hangers for 70+ year old lumber?

I've called around to all the home improvement stores and noone can help me. I am looking for joist hangers to use on my 1930 home because the floor is sagging in some spots because some joists were just attached to a header with nails. These 2x8s actually measure bigger then today's lumber ( 1 3/4 by 7 5/8) and I can't seem to find anyone that has the right width.

Can I just use a new double joist (one for two new 2x8s together) and just have no side support for the joist? Or does anyone else have a line on a hanger correct for my size lumber?

Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-07, 06:45 AM
W
You could probably use the double joist hanger and cut filler pieces wide enough to fill in the gap. Nail the hanger all the way through the filler into the joist.
I would cut the fillers long enough to extend well past the hanger to prevent splitting.

Old 01-29-07, 07:59 AM
J
Only if the floor is sagging at the end where the joist is nailed into the beam will joist hangers help. If the sag is away from there, you have another issue.

Old 01-29-07, 10:42 AM
A
Originally Posted by Jeff Matthews View Post
Only if the floor is sagging at the end where the joist is nailed into the beam will joist hangers help. If the sag is away from there, you have another issue.
Yea thats what is sagging. The whole floor was sagging before because the main beam was sagging, but after months of jacking that up and resecuring with new lally columns that is fine-but in these spots where there is a header so the joists don't extend all the way to the main beam, there is sagging right where they attach (The header is there because there was a hole in the floor where I think the old coal bin opened up from the basement into the house).

Old 01-29-07, 11:50 AM
J
I see. If the wood on the ends of the joists is good, you can use (I don't know the exact name) 90-degree metal brackets. Nails straight into header on one side, and nails straight into joist on the other. There would be 2 for each joist - one on each side. Basically, it is making a joist hanger without a strap across the bottom.