Securing wood to tile

Old 02-01-07, 12:41 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Securing wood to tile

Hi all you Know it alls....I'm uncertain the best way to secure a piece of finished wood to a tile floor.....I'm placing shelves in my sons' closet, and the wall that goes up in the middle of the closet needs a little more stability than the bracket I placed against the wall to it. Any thoughts? An adhesive? Thank you very much for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-07, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
If this "wall" has a shelves, could one of the shelves be permanently attached so as to firm up the "wall"?

Old 02-02-07, 11:57 AM
J
Red face

Hi, Thanks for your thoughts Xsleeper.....Yeah, in a way I'm like, duh sure I could do that (and why didn't I think of that!). The quandary is the wall is made up of this corkboard/melonite material, and thus am uncertain how secure I can make it. I was considering an adhesive of some kind that could adhere to the ceramic tile.....

Old 02-02-07, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not familiar with the term "melonite", and am not quite sure I know what sort of material you are using. But I'm sure that your plan of using an adhesive around the base of the wall would work if that's the only way it can be done. (PL200, Beats the Nails, Liquid Nails, PL polyurethane, etc.) If the "wall" is made of a flexible material, attaching each shelf to the wall or to a cleat (either with glue, nails or screws) would help to firm it up.

Occasionally closet divider walls that are 3/4" thick will have a U-shaped "channel" that is secured to the floor and/or wall first, then the 3/4" thick material just slips into the channel, which keeps it from moving laterally.

Old 02-13-07, 07:04 PM
J
Cool Thanks Xsleeper!

I used your first suggestion and secured the bottom shelf to both the wall side and the new wall divider I placed in the middle. It is very secure. Oh, and my bad....the material I was using is melamine...some kind of polymer which is popular in shelving today.

Old 02-17-07, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
I wondered if you meant melamine! Glad it worked. Keep those questions coming, we're glad to help!