Attaching timber fireplace mantle to wall

Old 02-02-07, 08:30 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attaching timber fireplace mantle to wall

I'm about to attach a cedar 4x8 mantle to a wood frame wall with gypsum board over the 2x4 studs. The 4" dimension will be the face with the 8" being horizontal. There will be no support underneath the mantle. I don't want any visible holes in the face of the mantle, nor want to see any angles or clips underneath on the bottom of the mantle. What's the best way to make this attachment?

Old 02-02-07, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Is it possible to install a 2x2 or 2x4 framing onto the wall horizontally, attaching it to each stud it spans, then have the mantle slip over it, fastening it through the top into the framing?

Old 02-02-07, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Another method is to install 1/2" x 10" lag bolts in 3 locations along the length of the mantle into the studs, sinking them about 3" into the stud. Cut off the head of the lag bolt, mark the mantle in the exact location of the 3 bolts, drill a 9/16" hole in the three locations on the back of the mantle. Dry fit it to the bolts. It will be loose. If it fits up against the wall, pull it back down, tape some newspaper up on the wall under where the mantel will go (to catch your mess), mix up some quick setting epoxy and fill the holes in the back of the mantle 1/2 way, pick up the mantle and install it using 2 people. Hold it in place firmly until the epoxy has set up. While you are holding it there, make sure it is level front to back and side to side. You will have a little wiggle room, but not much.

Old 02-02-07, 08:01 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was planning to use this method of attachment with the lag bolts, but then there is the possibility that I wouldn't get them in square and level or when I drill holes in back of the mantel I wouldn't get them square, then the mantel would bind and not snug up to the wall. I don't have a drill press for the mantel. I guess I could try this first and be careful and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: