Help with Refinishing Door

Old 02-09-07, 12:42 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with Refinishing Door

Is there any kind of power tool available (at a reasonable cost) for sanding small areas? I'm looking for something to use on an exterior wooden door that I'm refinishing. I used a random orbit sander on the flat areas, but the grooves and corners around the eight panels on the door are taking way too much time. The methods I've been using include sanding sponges, sanding blocks and hand sanding.

Also, I did not use any kind of stripper to remove the original finish. Would it be a good idea to use something to help with the areas that are taking so much time, even though I did not use a stripper on the rest of the door?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-07, 01:40 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use a scraper to shear material out of the tightest corners. I find an old butter knife handy for scraping out most cove shapes, though you could buy a special profile scraper.

Too-fine a sandpaper grit will clog up. Start with grits even up to 24 for paint & varnish removal. Really course grits cut plenty fast by hand alone. Progress down (up?) through finer grits to remove the rough surface made by courser grits.