Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Converting wood shelves to glass shelves - what pins/support to use?

Old 02-17-07, 03:18 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I have a kitchen cabinet with 2 glass doors on each side. Currently I have two laminate 3/4" wood shelves in the cabinet.
I would like to convert to glass shelves.
I figured I would use 1/4" glass shelves. BTW. What glass type do I have to specify?

The old wood shelves are held in place with plastic supports (the kind that kind that protects the shelf from going upward).

What kind of supports/pins should I use for glass shelves?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-07, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is usually no specific glass you would need to specifiy. Only if you want clear or tinted. For a shelf clear is best. 1/4" glass should be used as you said.

I would use L shaped supports with a vinyl coating on them. They do come in 2 different pin diameters. 5mm and 1/4", so you need to know what size your holes are. Just take and existing pin, and match it. More than likely 5mm.

Old 03-07-07, 05:21 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks. A related question: How much samller than the box should I specify the shelf? Subtract 1/8"?

Old 03-07-07, 05:32 AM
Assuming the shelf pins go all the way into the hole, and your box is square, I would go at least 3/16". Probably best to get the pins in the holes first, and measure before you order the glass.

Speaking of the glass, I usually order it with polished edges. It looks better, and it is safer.

Old 03-07-07, 05:54 AM
T
You can measure existing shelves to get a measurement for the new glass shelves. You can also purchase stainless shelf supports for the glass shelves. Take one of your plastic supports to a local kitchen dealer to get the metal ones the same size. Your local glass shop may have the metal supports.

Old 03-09-07, 10:03 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It's important to know the size of the shelf and how much weight you plan to put on the shelf This will help determine the glass thickness.