Octagon walls

Old 02-18-07, 07:53 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Octagon walls

Hi, Does anyone know how to build an Octagon. How do you connect the walls ? Normally when you frame 2 walls, you would just run one by the next and nail, right ? Well the corners are at 22.5 degrees, I just don't know how to do it. I own a block built octagon now, and I want to add a second floor. I would like to use wood and sheath it with wonder board and then stucco the wonder board to match the first floor. Any ideas ? It's in the Bahamas, where hurricanes are prevalent. I want it to be real strong.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-07, 02:30 PM
C
I would just cut the joints to 22.5 degrees as you mentioned, and go from there.

Old 02-18-07, 02:41 PM
W
I guess my question was with connecting the corners. So, do you mean no studs in the corners, just cut the top and bottom plates and toenailing them together ? How far out from the actual corner should I put my uprights?

Old 02-19-07, 05:06 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Walls

Cut the top and bottom plates at 22.5 degrees as you mentioned. If the lower top plate of wall A passes the end of the plate for wall B, then cut the topmost top plate for wall B to overlap the lower top plate of wall A. This makes a stronger joint.

At the corners, install a stud oriented in the normal manner at the inside end of the plates of each wall to form the inside corner where the two walls meet.

Old 02-19-07, 12:14 PM
W
Plates

I need to make a correction to my earlier post. The top plates need to be cut at 45 degrees so they can be lapped. I will attempt a diagram and post the address. It is harder to expalin than it is to do.

Here is the address of the diagram:
http://KStout4.photosite.com/

The gray boxes show placement of studs at corner. Second set of top plates would be arranged so that plate B laps over the top of plate A.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 02-19-07 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added phopto address
Old 02-19-07, 10:44 PM
W
Thanks Wirepuller

I was wondering, maybe I should use a 4x4 in the corners instead and just cut the angle in them. Do you think that would be stronger? I could still attatch the plates like you show in your pic [thanks] couldn't I ?
Also, is my idea of using plywood and wonder board covered with stucco, sound like a good one ? I'm looking for strengh and ease of building and cost.. How would it compare to a block wall ?

Old 02-20-07, 04:32 AM
W
Corner

If you use a 4x4, it will need to be ripped at an angle to fit the corner. How would you do that?

I am not familiar with stucco construction. Hopefully the pros will join the discussion with some help here.