How to build a sturdy desk

Old 03-12-07, 02:27 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to build a sturdy desk

I shopped around this past weekend and have decided that it is far cheaper for me to build my own desk than buy some of these preassambled ones for sale at furniture stores. I want the desk to be very sturdy, functional, and simple. Heres the design:
___
| |

Thats it. Just 3 boards. A large rectangular top, and two large rectangular ends

My question is, If I simply nail these three boards together, the desk will be incredibly unstable and will most likely sway from side to side. How can I prevent this? Should I put a board running parallel to the top between the two legs? Or is there another easy way. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-07, 12:01 PM
On the inside of the legs, it would be much sturdier if a stretcher (board) is run from one leg to the other and if a 2x2 is glued at the top inside where the leg and top meet.
Remember, glue holds better than nails or screws. nails and screws are for holding pieces while the glue sets up. Speaking of glues, there are a lot of them out there!! The new urethane glues are fabulous holding wood together. Follow the instructions and dampen onside of the glue joint before gluing the two boards together. HINT:::: Don't use too much glue. the urethane expands and forms a strong foam. In this case, more is not better!!

Old 03-16-07, 05:55 PM
G
Im not totally following the 2x2s

So there are two sides (legs) and the top. These all meet at right angles. And then the stretcher which runs from 1 leg to the other, parallel to the top but perpendicular in plane. So where od the 2x2s fit in exactly? Thanks!!

Old 03-19-07, 10:56 AM
you can also purchase an inexpensive plain hollow core interior door ($30 or so) and lay it across 2 filing cabinets to form a desk.

Old 03-19-07, 11:08 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Desk

Attach a modesty panel made of 1/4 in. plywood to the two legs and the top.