Need a hole saw

Old 03-21-07, 06:24 AM
Dig
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need a hole saw

I am in need of a small hole saw that can be variable. What I have been looking for is a tool I used a few years ago for many years. It look similar to a drill bit except then end had a movable head allowing you to set the size of the hole. It had a bit of a screw type point that would grip the wood pretty good and pull it into the area being drilled.

Of course the movable part of the head had its own point tip on it that would scribe the outer ring of the hole as it went through the wood. It was a great tool for drilling variable size holes.

I have been to every store in town and come to find out that they all carry basically the same tools, but could not find what I wanted.

I need a 1 9/16(1.56") hole and it seems impossible to find anything that size.

Does anyone know of the tool I refer to? Is it still made?
Any ideas on how to drill this size hole?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-07, 06:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
I know what you are describing, I've got one but I was never overly thrilled with it although it is handy for odd sizes. I don't know the correct name for it

Could you use an 1.5" hole saw and then use a drum sander to enlarge it?

Old 03-21-07, 06:40 AM
Dig
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I know what you are describing, I've got one but I was never overly thrilled with it although it is handy for odd sizes. I don't know the correct name for it

That's great to hear as I was feeling like I was going crazy. Maybe when you go home or where it is you can look and see if there is a manufacturer's name on it and let me know tmrw.

Could you use an 1.5" hole saw and then use a drum sander to enlarge it?
Yes that is what we have been doing but it is too much time wasted and the holes never come out the same twice.

Thanks a million.

Old 03-24-07, 07:01 AM
You don't mention where you're located, but if you're in the midwest and close to a Menard's, They have their Tool Shop brand Adj. hole saw.

Ace has one on their website made by Skil.

Copy and paste URL below into your browser to see it.

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-skil-and-reg-adjustable-dial-hole-saw-73400--pi-1333354.html

I don't know if they have them in the stores, or if they are only available on their website.

Good Luck

Old 03-24-07, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I have needed to make many odd sized holes and have never failed to find a hole saw to do it with.
I had an adjustable one like you describe but using it on drywall it didn't last long.

Lennox is one brand I use but there are several others that will have this size.

http://www.lenoxsaw.com/aholesaw.htm

Old 03-26-07, 05:49 AM
Dig
Thanks for the help everyone.

I was able to accomplish my goal using a Forstner bit. They come in many metric sizes and there was a perfect size for the hole I needed. Plus they cut much faster than the hole saws I was using.

Thanks

Old 03-26-07, 03:14 PM
Just so you know for future reference, they are not called hole saws. It is called an expansion bit. they come in all sizes and the largest one can make a 3" diameter hole. That is how it is.