Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

'shiny mark' on laminate kitchen worktop left by a pencil rubber!

Old 03-22-07, 02:49 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a laminate kitchen worktop, made by wilsonart, it’s called ebony star, I drew a line on the laminate side with a pencil and then rubbed it out with a pencil rubber and now the rubbed out area has left what I can best describe as a 'shiny mark' that stands out against the rest of the laminate worktop.

I created that mark again on a spare piece of the same worktop and I have used the following below to try and remove this ‘shiny mark’ but I have had no success, can anyone please help me with any advice?

Products I have used already: windowlene window cleaner, mr sheen polish, cif, flash, white spirit, nail varnish remover which contains acetone, wood and laminate tough wipes, dettol surface cleaner.

Last edited by doron; 03-22-07 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-07, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Have you tried methyl ethyl keytone?

Old 03-22-07, 06:12 PM
T
What about auto polish/sealer with buffer?

Old 03-22-07, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
I'd suggest a mild abrasive cleanser, such as bon-ami or softscrub. I'm just guessing that it might be shiny carbon residue.

Old 03-23-07, 07:03 AM
D
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
I'd suggest a mild abrasive cleanser, such as bon-ami or softscrub. I'm just guessing that it might be shiny carbon residue.
hi, thanks for your reply, i've tryed cif and flash which is a mild cleaner and had no luck, someone else suggested lighter fluid, wd40, auto rubbing compound, toothpaste and goof off, i'll give those a go

Old 03-23-07, 07:05 AM
D
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
What about auto polish/sealer with buffer?
thanks for your reply, yes i'll give that a go

Old 03-23-07, 07:11 AM
D
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Have you tried methyl ethyl keytone?
hi, thanks for your reply, i'll try and track it down here in the UK

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-24-07 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-23-07, 03:43 PM
Group Moderator
Unlike all the liquid cleaners, the products I suggested (plus the toothpaste someone else mentioned) have a mild abrasive, which is why I suggested them. I'm guessing you need to lightly scuff the surface, since either the carbon or the heat (friction) of the eraser has left a smooth spot on the plastic. Rubbing compound (auto body cleanser) might have a similar effect to dull the surface.

Old 03-23-07, 05:10 PM
D
hi thanks for your comments, i see it could make sense what your saying about the heat / friction of the eraser, i did a short while ago use rubbing compound and car polish but they both made it look worse on the spare piece of worktop i was using, could i please ask you what you mean by me to 'lightly scruff the surface' thanks for your advice

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-24-07 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Quoting entire post is not necessary to reply
Old 03-23-07, 05:28 PM
T
One of the mildest and cheapest abrasives is baking soda and water paste. However, the rubber rubbings into the pores of the plastic laminate (plastic is porous & absorbent) may be the problem. Yet, we do not know how abrasive the eraser was that could have dulled the finish.

A mild abrasive would remove surface/topical residue of eraser. That which is in pores is another issue. However, if rubbing of eraser abraded the laminate, there may be surface damage. For mild scratches & mars, auto wax and buffer can camouflage these problems. You say you used solvent cleaners and none lifted the rubber deposits. Did you allow the solvent time to soak and dissolve?

What our beloved XSleeper is explaining is that if you use a auto rubbing compound that it might solve your problems. Our little sleepy guy says: "Rubbing compound (auto body cleanser) might have a similar effect to dull the surface."

Old 03-24-07, 04:49 AM
D
hi thanks for the above information!!! i used rubbing compound and car polish but they both made it look worse on the spare piece of worktop i was using, in reference to allowing any solvent time to soak and dissolve, i didn't allow any time on any of the products i used, no problem for me to give it some time but what product would you suggest i use? thank you for your time and help

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-24-07 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Quoting entire post is not necessary to reply
Old 03-24-07, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
So let me see if I have this right:

The rubber eraser left a shiny mark on the laminate. None of the solvents have had any effect. And you say that the rubbing compound made it look "worse". So by saying "worse", do you mean that it created a larger shiny spot?

I'm at a loss for what has occurred. Since nothing seems to work, it almost sounds like the surface has been abraded, possibly irreversably. It will be interesting to see if twelvepole's suggestion about longer soaking time has an effect.

Old 03-24-07, 08:50 AM
D
hi xsleeper, yes by worse i mean it has created a larger shiny spot! hopefully twelvepole will get back to me about me asking which products to use to soak

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-24-07 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Quoting entire post is not necessary to reply
Old 03-24-07, 09:41 AM
T
For Formica use & care go to: http://www.formica.com/publish/site/na/us/en/index/laminate/use___care.html

If rubbing alcohol and a soft brush do not work, perhaps denatured alcohol. If you have a high-gloss finish, you may have damaged the surface.

Old 03-25-07, 10:08 AM
D
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
For Formica use & care go to: http://www.formica.com/publish/site/na/us/en/index/laminate/use___care.html

If rubbing alcohol and a soft brush do not work, perhaps denatured alcohol. If you have a high-gloss finish, you may have damaged the surface.
thanks twlevepole for the info