Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Reparing a custom/jerry-rigged wood door frame - with transom window above

Old 03-27-07, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

[This message is a repost from doors/windows - I didn't receive any responses there.]

Help out an amatuer carpenter?

I have an exterior door installed in a wood frame in the rear brick wall and have just purchased a nice stained glass window that I hope to install along with a new clear vinyl picture window where the existing (painted, cracked, yuk!) single-pane transom window is.

The supporting frame consists of:

1: 2" x 6.5" (actual dims.) studs to which the door itself is fastened (a wood door, not pre-hung).

2: a 29" long 2x4" serving as an intermidiate header - supporting a single-pane transom window immediately above the door.

3: 2" x 6.5" header above the window that is properly supported (sitting atop the studs).

However, I'm concerned about one element of the existing frame accomodating my new windows.

Number 2: my intermediate header (pardon me if there is a proper term for this!) is only a 2x4" and is not deep enough to accomodate both the stained glass window and vinyl picture window.

It is also not fasted to the studs very securely. It looks like it was nailed in between the studs with a box joint before the frame was raised into place in the open brick.

I wish to install a wider board (a 2 x 6.5" to match the studs) to support the windows. Is there a way to securely fasten this new board to the studs without taking out the entire door frame out of my load-bearing brick wall and starting over?

Thanks,

Ross

PM me and I can send photos or diagrams if ya wish!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-07, 05:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ross: Your post in doors and windows was proper. It was only there a day, so it takes a little time for us to read all the posts and help where we can and triage the remainder. Yours needs triage. Try posting a few pictures of what you have so we can see what you see. You can do it on a site such as photobucket.com, and let us know the url.