child safe finish

Old 05-06-07, 06:31 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
child safe finish

I am making some furniture for my infant (10months) who likes to put everything in her mouth. I am also thinking about making some wooden toys/blocks. What kind of finish is safe for a kid to put in her mouth? I would like a natural finish, so is Tung oil safe? I also use wipe-on poly for the other furniture i make, but it doesn't look very safe to put in your mouth.

thanks.

Old 05-06-07, 06:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think a latex finish with proper priming is less toxic than using oils or oil based or solvent based finishes. Our paint pros will chime in here shortly.
After all, I grew up in the 50's, so we had lead paint for supper. Keep them as safe as possible.

Old 05-07-07, 09:52 AM
R
jkh772,

I believe most, if not all, of today's finishes are safe ONCE CURED. However, if you are really concerned, shellac is downright edible. In fact, it has been used to apply sheen to some produce at supermarkets. It is also extremely durable unless saturated with alcohol or water for an extended period of time.

Zinsser makes several pre-mixed shellac products which are available at the big box stores. They are sold mostly as sealers.

Old 05-07-07, 12:24 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Check at your local paint store for nontoxic paint. This is used for baby cribs because children have a tendency to chew on the rails.

Old 02-24-09, 02:34 PM
K
matching stains

My father in law is building me a crib. We decided on Cherry, and that we would stain it once it was assembled, etc. I am going to have to purchase other pieces of furniture for the nursery and want them to match the crib. Would it be easier to buy furniture in cherry already stained and then match the crib's stain to that or vice versa? I want the nursery to be cohesive and not different tones. Any suggestions???

Old 02-24-09, 02:50 PM
S
Terms like "cherry" can mean different things in different product lines and no stain line or manufacturer tries to match to another's version of a color.Your better bet is staining it all with the same product taking into account that different woods and even peices of the same wood can come out differently.Test and experiment and try to be consistent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: