Molding question

Old 05-09-07, 10:44 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Avon, CT
Posts: 346
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Molding question

I am putting up some new molding in my house. The old molding was your typical 70's/80's colonial casing. The new molding is straight, fluted casing. On certain doorways the drywall is not level with the doorway. So when I hold up the new molding there is a gap on one side. The old molding seemed to hide this better.

Should I put a line of paintable caulk to close the gap? Any other suggestions?
Old 05-09-07, 12:37 PM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 6,926
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts

Caulking as you suggest is the easiest solution. Another possibility is to use a belt sander to sand down the back side of the moulding where the drywall is high so that the moulding will drop down into the lower places on the drywall. Good luck with your project.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: