Need some wood education please

Old 05-10-07, 09:29 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need some wood education please

Hello,

I'm gearing up to build a pretty cool toy box. The directions call for qty 10, 1 x 6 x 8' tongue and groove boards. I know what 1 x 6 x 8' boards are, but the tongue and groove part has me baffled. Do places like Home Depot and Lowe's actually sell a piece of wood that pre-cut as tongue and groove? Is this a common piece of wood? The book I'm building from dates to the 80's, so maybe this type of wood configuration is no longer available? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 04:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
1x6x8 tongue and groove lumber is quite common. However, you will probably have to go to a lumber yard to get it, as the big boxes don't usually carry it, at least in my area.

Old 05-11-07, 05:16 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Even if the big box store carries it, there will probably be better selection at the lumber yard.

Old 05-11-07, 07:03 AM
L
Thanks for the information and buying tips. I'm wondering, should I be buying all my wood from a lumber yard? I usually go to the big boxes for my wood, but if I can get a better selection as well as a better price at a lumber yard, then I'm there. I live in Dallas, so surely there's a lumber yard somewhere in this sprawling city? Thanks again.

Old 05-11-07, 07:19 AM
A
Probably get better prices at a lumber yard, and maybe better selection also, but....

At a big box store I can take all the time I want to cull the available stock and select the best looking pieces. Doing this at a lumber yard is problematic at best, usually you just hand your invoice to a yard hand who throws whatever is on top of the stack into your truck. Letting you select which pieces you want slows them down, and other customers are waiting their turn. You can watch the stock being loaded, and reject obvious culls, but I prefer to select my own if the extra cost of a big box store is not too high.

This si most important to me personally with things like dimensional lumber and sheet goods, where warped stock can mean a big headache. Some other stuff (e g, Sackrete and rebar) I just shop the best price period.

Old 05-11-07, 10:26 AM
J
I'm finding that the lumber at Lowes and Home Depot is better quality than that of the local lumber yards. And as mentioned above I can hand pick each piece of wood I need.

Old 05-12-07, 06:14 PM
L
Outrageous cost!

Went to Home Depot today. They want $10 for each 1x6x8 tongue and groove piece of wood. That's $10 for one. I just about fell over. My weekend toy chest project calls for 10 of them = $100. That's doesn't include all the other things I need to build the box. I'm wondering, is that an outrageous price for a 1x6x8 tongue and groove board? Or is that a normal price to pay for this type of wood? Thanks again.

Old 05-12-07, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Depends on the species; if it's oak that's a great price, if it's pine it's overpriced. Any chance you have a router and table and could tongue & groove your own?

Old 05-12-07, 10:30 PM
L
Actually, it's cedar. I should have mentioned this in my original post.

Old 05-13-07, 05:20 AM
That's a bit pricey for Cedar..
How big is this box? 80 feet of lumber is an awful lot, and would make a HUGE box.. Recheck the materials list because something is wrong there..

Here's an idea.. Look for a local woodworking club, visit them, and ask where they get their lumber.. Chances are a couple members have planer/jointers and you can then get roughsawn lumber at a mill.. They can help you get a handle on things..

You can also search the net for different plans, and/or make it out of baltic birch plywood.. That is high quality plywood that has thin layers, and no voids in it.. Price is reasonable too.. I got 2 5'x5' sheets for $27.50 ea.. The bigbox stores do not carry it, so you'll have to call some lumber yards for it..

Old 05-14-07, 04:03 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
$10 is about right for the cedar, but I thought you were originally building it out of t&g pine, which is a little cheaper. By the time you buy a router, bits (more than one) and take the time to do your own t&g, you could be through with the project with change to spare. If you are already set up with the tools and bits, then that is the way to go.
Your box must be measuring about 5' long by 3' deep and 2 1/2' tall....close?