Installing new shelves in an armoire

Old 05-12-07, 11:06 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing new shelves in an armoire

We are doing a remodel and will be without a number of our kitchen cabinets. As temporary storage, I am going to put some shelves in an old armoire. I am curious as to the best way to go about this. I had been planning on using some peg board as a jig and drilling pin holes for mounting pins similar to http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/ShelfPinHoles.html. I had not considered shelf standards as I thought (as is the case with most of our cabinets) that they needed to be inset (and I would have to router a groove). I just noticed that one of our cabinets as them surface mounted. This seems like it would be much easier. Is that still secure for holding the weight of dishes?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-07, 05:12 AM
J
Pin holes/shelf pins would be my suggestion. Just be careful of the alignment, and don't drill all the way thru. 1/4-3/8" deep.

Old 05-29-07, 11:09 AM
C
This is an old thread but I have similar question.

I am building a cabinet and shelves might get heavy with books, so I decided to use standards. You know cut the groove and all of that. But when I measured the ones available in the store and measure the router bits the bits are too big, there is quite bit of play if I use available bit. Also, the clamps come as a set with nails. Wouldn’t the screws be better? I don't like the idea of mounting the standards strait on the top of the cabinet, kind of doesn't look nice. Or is it a standard (no pan intended) practice? What do people usually do for custom made book shelves?

Old 05-30-07, 03:39 PM
C
Any body want to answer this?

Old 05-30-07, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Yeah, just thinkin'. There may be a little play, depending on the size and quality of standards you buy. I like using 1/2" screws to hold the standards to the framing. But, remember to drive them slowly, and by hand, not a power tool. Also note all the weight you will have will be vertical weight, and the shelves will do most of the job of holding the standards in place. Personally, I like to use a series of 1/4" holes and standard pins. You don't have to drill every 2 inches. You can give yourself a range for each shelf, say 4" up and down. But your template will have to be right on to do this. It just looks neater than the standards.