How to build a cabinet lid that lifts up & slides in

Old 05-17-07, 01:52 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to build a cabinet lid that lifts up & slides in

I am trying to build a wooden storage box which can be accessed from the side by lifting a lid and sliding it in. Or, imagine you're facing a cabinet, but instead of a door that swings open to the left, the door (or lid) swings up. And when you swing it up, rather than it lock in place using some lift-up arm mechanism, you can slide the lid into the cabinet on rollers so it's out of the way.

The top drawers of large, metal, lateral file cabinets often have this feature: the person can lift the cabinet lid and slide it in on rollers. When they're done getting what they want, they slide the lid back out and pull it down. In the file cabinet solution, the lid is affixed to metal hardware by two hinges, with the rest mounted on rollers.

I'm looking for similar hardware (or plans) to create this lift and slide lid mechanism with my wooden storage box, but I can't find anything. There is plenty of hardware to make sliding drawers, but I can't find any that makes use of hinges to allow the lift and slide feature.

Any ideas on where to look, or what search terms to use?

Thanks.

Kurt

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-07, 03:53 PM
T
Google for barrister door slides.

Old 05-18-07, 03:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Exactly. I have one in my office, and it is actually a storage unit used by lawyers for their files. (not sure why lawyers need their own storage system) The lid lifts up and slides over the top of the unit, allowing access.

Old 05-18-07, 09:07 AM
K
Barrister door slides it is. Thanks!

Old 06-01-07, 05:22 AM
N
Many of the links you will find in the google search for Barrister door slides will lead you to the one Rockler offers. Do not get it! I have installed one in a barrister style cabinet for a client, and I am absolutely disappointed with the action of the slide. I have since spoken with some other cabinet guys who have resolved issues like this by using pocket door slides. I will be playing around with that method in my shop soon, and post the results here when I have a decent method figured out.

Old 06-01-07, 07:11 PM
C
Accuride 123 pocket door hardware

Here is a link http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=33&filter=accuride%20123%20pocket%20door

Very simple to use. Make sure you keep the following into consideration:

Weight, size of door and door travel. Door Travel= how much the door will slide into the cabinet and how much of the door will be sticking out in front of the cabinet.

You need to allow a minimum of 2-1/2" on each side if you're going to put a "pocket wall" to help hide the hardware. Make sure this pocket wall is removeable, or you'll never be able to adjust your hinges. Another option, but may not be so pretty, but works, is to drill a large enough hole in the side of the pocket wall to access the adustablility factors.

Hope this helps.