Desperate Teen With Warped Wood!!!

Old 05-22-07, 03:42 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Desperate Teen With Warped Wood!!!

I am curretnly wokring on a document keepskae box with lock hardware and a pull out door. Its demensions are 12"L 7"W and 7" in height. This box i am making is made entirely out of purple heart wood.
I was doing my side pieces and cut them down to their finsihed sizes. The demensions for the finshed side peices are 6" by 7" by 3/4". I put my side peices away for good keeping in the upstairs storage room in my school workshop. I let them stay there for the weekend . I left them with no crown or warpage what so ever. They were perfectly right angles, I came back after the weekend and the pieces were warped. The grain of my wood goes with the length of the box. The grain does NOT point up wards, it goes around the box. How can i make a box correclty if the wood is warped and my pieces are already at their finsihed lengths and thicknesss????????? please help me!!!!!! I would like to have this gift done for my best friend. I already have hit some bumps in the road and i got over them. I dont wanna have to give up here OH and i am not reducing my orignal sizes. Thats not an option. IM PANACING HERE> this has never happend befor. Help is greatly aprreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-07, 07:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It happens all the time. Changes in humidity, wood moisture, etc. will cause the grains to act up. Try spraying the wood pieces with water and clamp them between two good pieces of 2x4, or steel plates. I have had success in getting thin wood (I know yours is 3/4") to straighten up and act right doing this. Leave it clamped up in your working atmosphere for a couple of days and see if it helps.

Old 05-22-07, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 582 Votes on 535 Posts
You didn't mention what type of joinery you are using on the corners of this box, (drawer lock or 45 degree lock miter) but it's possible that if you are using a strong, interlocking connection such as the above, that you would be able to join the box and keep it clamped using a web clamp or band clamp around the top and bottom of the box until the glue sets up. A simple glued miter may not be able to resist the spring tension that the warpage will be putting on the joint when the clamps are released.

Old 05-22-07, 08:47 PM
T
"I put my side peices away for good keeping in the upstairs storage room in my school workshop." Different temperature and humidity in that area than where the wood was stored prior to cutting. Moving wood from air conditioned area to unconditioned area where there is high humidity can cause wood to warp.

Purple heart wood is very hard and dense and touted to have excellent dimensional stability. Warping is found, however, when wood is not thoroughly seasoned and also when subjected to high humidity.

Old 05-31-07, 02:08 PM
D
well i used rabbet joints for the corners of the box and my teacher said the would not warp back but itll will come out straight when we glue and clamp it together. Also i find that "spraying the wood with water" technique a bit farfetched. i did it on a test peice of wood and it made the surface shabby and bad for sanding i dont wana risk it to ill jsut make sure to join it properly and clamp it good.

Know i know u cant really stain purple heart wood becuase it allready has a colour to it but could u guys recomned somthing to bring out the colour real nicely and give it a clean smooth finsih???????? Should i jsut pile on the urethane like 4 times or just try somethin else???

Old 06-01-07, 03:34 AM
Farfetched? How do you think it got warped in the first place? Using moisture in the grains and reversing the action doesn't sound to far fetched to an aged experienced carpenter, but maybe I'm just to old to understand new stuff.

Old 06-01-07, 04:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 268 Votes on 237 Posts
You can stain most any raw wood. Because of the dark grain it won't color well. It is usually best to use a dark stain on this type of wood or use no stain at all - just poly.

Old 06-04-07, 02:10 PM
D
Im sorry chandler i meant no offence to you. I hope one day i will become a higly skilled Carpenter like ur self. i think personally think it would be fun getting better and skilled just from all my years of work that pass by. I dont know though , spraying the wood just sounded werid to me because i see wood that has expeirianced dampness with water on it then it bends and warps and acts up, but any ways..

So if i were to spray it with water and clamp it together, what side do i spray the water on?? convex or concave??????, Also should i get a slighty damp rag and spread the water though it or should i spray it with water bottle, and how do i know if the water i put is enough??? put enough water till the woods grain is darker??

**When my side pieces are lined up against the box and they are properly esseembled they both have a concave facing toward the box.** I dont even think i can lay my lid on properly with these big warps. i dont think they with come together perfectly when we join them with glue and clamp them.

Thanks for the advice Marksr. I think i might gve it a nice stain to darken it a bit.

Old 06-04-07, 02:53 PM
Absolutely no offense taken. I just know when I have met my match. Anyway, your idea of a moist cloth is a good one. I don't think the wood will care which side you wet it on, since you will be clamping it up right away. It is not normal to wet wood, you're right, but since it got that way by being wet in the first place, let's see if we can neutralize the warping and bend it the way YOU want it to go. Dry wood will never bend, only shatter. So by giving it a little relaxation, you can move the grains. I would just get the rag wet and wipe it on both sides, and definitely not "soak" it, and then immediately clamp it up. Have you already cut your dovetails? Are you ready to glue and clamp?

Old 06-05-07, 04:33 PM
D
Ok so i will dampen a cloth and wet both sides then clamp it. all i need to do now is cut the inside compartment dado joints, but i woukld like to have my sides straight befor i cut them. sadly i am not using dovetail joints. (They look so nice), I wish i couldve but we dont get much time in our class and i already did rabbet joints for the drawer. I also need to chamfer my top and bottom pieces. after that im going to glue thjoin them all together really tight. then wipe of the glue and give it a good snadown the next day. after that all i have to do is install the (lock set, knob, hinges) i just hope my top peice being slightly warped wont ruin my lock intallment.

You see .........the original document box plans were meant to be made of birch and it was sapossed to be painted red. i changed my wood to purple heart but the problem was that the side peices came out to the frontof the box and they were visable. so i had to give the front peice and the drawer front a wide rabbet joint to cover the end grain. im not sure y i didint do dovetail joints but i think it has sometihng to do with the insid edado joints..

i have 7 days left to make those dado cuts, chamfer it sand it stain it and varish etc...... but that cass is crazy. there are so many kids jsut taking up time and yeah da yeahdaaa. this is for my girl friend so ill make sure to have it perfected. i know she wont be dissaopinted in my work but if i give her work that i dont like then i will not be satisfied with my self.

Sorry about the long replys

Old 06-05-07, 06:46 PM
I still think if all the pieces are apart, you can moisten them and clamp them between a couple of pieces of straight wood or 1/4" steel plate. Clamping in several places will help put pressure equally along the run of the wood. I know it sounds time consuming, but I, too want your project to be perfect. Let us know the feasibility of using the plates, or if you can find wood that is straight enough to use.

Old 06-05-07, 06:50 PM
D
ok i will do that. should i sand first or should i jsut damp it then clamp it??

Old 06-06-07, 03:55 AM
I believe I would leave the sanding for when it is dry, since the grain will be raised during the wetting, and it will "pill" up, if you know what I mean. And using a really fine paper (400 grit) will keep scratches from appearing.

Old 06-07-07, 01:58 PM
D
Please don't do what I did once and leave a wet cloth or towel on the wood when pressing. The wood got mold on it.

Also, when following Chandler's suggestion I recommend that you leave the project in the working environment. I had a friend who made a hope chest in Florida, took it to Denver and it warped. Later he moved back to Florida and it returned to the original shape.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-09-07, 04:08 PM
D
well im sorry to say i have already damp it down the wood and clamp it together. i left it for the weekend so hopfully it works out. About that mold thing........... i touched my wood with my damp fingers and i didnt wipe it off and i came back after and the wood was grey/moldey where my finger prints had touched. sorry tosay i didint use metal plates becuase my teacher woudlnt had let me. He would have just told me "Dont water them and clamp them, your wasting time!!!!!! come on lets go. "Your peices will come together when we clamp them". So basically im doing this without him knowing. On monday when I return iI will be installing my lock hardware for the compartment and and put on hinges, I need to just make dado cuts inside the box and i will glue my pieces together and give it a final sand down. Dont worry I will surely tell you how it works out.