Need help w/rough closet opening dimensions

Old 05-29-07, 01:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help w/rough closet opening dimensions

I'm building a closet and planning to install two standard sliding doors, hollow core. The doors are 24" wide by 80" tall for a total of 48" wide by 80" high.

Should I make the rough opening 48" by 80", or add an inch plus on top to accommodate the door slider hardware? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-07, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You should plan an "return" on each side of the closet. This will allow for the application of molding. At a minimum, I would make the closet 5' wide, allowing a 6" return on each side of the doors. Your "finished" cased opening should be 48", so plan on the 1 1/2" the casing will take up when you frame it up. So your framed opening should be 49 1/2"+ for a little give. Likewise on the height, plan on the 3/4" header case, so the framed header should be 81 1/4"+ in height.

Old 05-29-07, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
I think Chandler's got is about right. He means the the interior of the closet should be about 60" wide, while the rough opening for the doors in front would be smaller, and centered in the closet.

I'd make the rough opening 50 x 82. This would allow space for you to create a cased opening that measures 48 x 81 1/4" (a cased opening means an opening that has a blank door jamb on the left, right and top that gets casing applied to both the inside and outside of the opening).

The inside dimension (width) of your cased opening should be exactly the same as (or 1/16" wider than) the length of the head track. And sometimes with bypass doors, you want them to overlap in the middle a little bit... so if both your doors are exactly 24", you might want a finished opening that is 47 1/2" or 47 3/4". You definately don't want it wider than 48 or you'll be able to see between the doors when they are shut.