stain sticky and will not dry

Old 05-31-07, 03:54 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy stain sticky and will not dry

I am trying to stain a bedroom dresser. I stripped the dresser, cleaned with mineral spirits and started staining. I made the mistake of brushing on the stain but not wiping it off. I realized what I did wrong but the dresser was beginning to dry. I added more stain to loosen the almost dry stain and wiped off a lot of it. I like how it looks but the edges have a trim piece and the stain is caked in the corners and I cannot get it off without messing up the look of the stain on the dreser. I do not want to start over because i like how it looks but the stain is thicker is some areas and darker. It has been almost 12 hours and the dresser is still sticky. I rained while I was staining the dresser in the garage but it has been very hot today. Should I wait another day and hope it dries or can I add the poly and hope it is dry enough? Do I need to sand the stain finish. I used red mahogny miniwas wood finish.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-07, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You may have sealed your fate when you tried to loosen the original stain with new stain. It probably would pay to start over again, by removing as much of the finish as you can, and stir your stain, not shake it, until it is dissolved completely, wait for it to dry before you try to apply polyurethane. Stir the poly, too, to prevent air bubbles.

Old 05-31-07, 05:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Basically you have 3 choices

#1 - wait and hope it dries [if it isn't totally dry brushing on poly will lift the stain]

#2 - wash off the stain and start over

#3 - spray on the first coat of poly - this will seal it and you can safely sand and recoat when dry. You can buy spray cans of poly if you don't have other means to spray it.

Old 05-31-07, 05:30 PM
C
I really am hoping that it will dry. I really like the look of the stain. I am going to wait until Saturday and give it a chance to dry and then try to poly one of the drawers as a test. Should I use a water based or oil based poly? I purchased the miniwax helmsman spar urethane clear gloss. Do you sand between the poly and apply two coats or is one coat good enough? I do not want a high gloss look. If the test fails I will strip and start again. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-01-07, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can use either waterbase [only if stain is dry] or oil base poly.
I wouldn't recomend using the helmsman, it is formulated for the exterior and doesn't provide as hard a finish. Minwax [and others] makes poly in the 3 basic sheens; satin, semi-gloss and gloss. Use whichever sheen you desire. It usually takes 3 coats to achieve a quality finish. Sand lightly and dust between coats.

Old 06-01-07, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
When stain gets sticky, wiping it down with paint thinner usually works. If it's really sticky, a paint brush and lacquer thinner will get into those hard to reach corners. If you catch it in time, you can remove enough of it that you can restain. But if it gets too dry, you're stuck.

Old 06-03-07, 10:55 AM
C
My dresser has finally dried. However I am now faced with wanting new hardware but not finding anything to match the holes left by the old hardware. What should I use to fill in one of holes? Wood filler? I have not put on the poly yet

Old 06-03-07, 06:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Colored wood putty is best applied after the first coat of poly. You might find hardware that will also cover the old holes.