free-standing lattice panels

Old 06-05-07, 05:28 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
free-standing lattice panels

I'm am wanting to make some free-standing lattice panels to use in a wedding. I would like to use the plastic type lattice as it is much lighter than the wood. The problem is that it is so flemsy that it will not stand up straight. Is there a way I can contruct a sturdy, upright panel without it bowing?????? I need your help. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-07, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some mfgs sell two pieces of trim to go with the plastic lattice. One is a "C" channel used to wrap the edge of individual panels. The other is an "H" channel used to join to pieces of lattice.

Both pieces can add additional stability to the lattice. Check with your supplier for availability.

Other trim piece can be attached with either glue or heavy duty staples.

I used the lattice and trim pieces when I decided to cover an unsightly chain link fence in the front of my yard.

Old 06-05-07, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
I made some lattice panels once. Made two frames (about the size of a door) out of cedar 2x2's and put a 3/8" dado (slot) on one side to accept the lattice. Assembled the frame, trapping the lattice inside. Then mounted a pair of hinges and joined the two frames together so that they would stand when opened 135 degrees or so. They could also be made to stand on their own by mounting a pair of plywood triangles onto the bottom ends of the frames.

Personally, I think the PVC lattice is heavier than the cedar lattice.