Help me out guys, basic question


Old 06-09-07, 08:44 PM
mackmack's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2007
Location: usa ohio
Posts: 47
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help me out guys, basic question

I have a shed that I am trying to repair and I want to fill in some spots where there are dents/chips in the exterior wood. It's just cosmetic stuff but I want to try and fill everything in before I prime and paint.

Is there anything cheap that I can use like a joint compound or filler?

I know I could use wood filler but it would probably get expensive(some spots as large as a fist and about 1/2 inch deep)... then I was thinking of diluting some outdoor weather caulk with water...

Any thoughts on what I could use? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-07, 09:13 PM
IBM5081's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 655
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bondo is one approach. Of course you will need to sand it down and seal it completely so that water does not get under it and make the future condition worse than the present.

Another approach is to cut wood plugs that exceed the damaged area. Cut holes and install the plugs. It could be quicker than applying some form of filler.
Old 06-09-07, 09:25 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,967
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
A Bondo second cousin is made for wood by Minwax, mixes like, smells like, works like bondo, but, like I said, made for wood. Probably the same stuff in a different can.
Old 06-15-07, 08:10 PM
Herm's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Island Lake, IL
Posts: 535
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd go with the bondo too. It is the same stuff as you use on a car. I've used it on everything from painted molding to a guitar body.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: