Shelf height & support ?

Old 06-16-07, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Shelf height & support ?

I'm planing to install a 8' X 16" ventilated metal shelf over a 8' Formica counter top supported by 4-24" base cabinets. The back splash area is a 4' X 8' peg board mounted horizontally. This will be in the garage with a ceiling height is 10'. My questions are what should the correct height of the shelf, the spacing & number of angle supports for optimum utility and strength?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-07, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Tom, since this will be in your garage, I would make the height a little above 6', so when you bend over your bench, your head will clear the edge of the shelf. I am supposing you will be mainly storing stuff on it, and with a 10' ceiling, you will probably need a step stool to reach some of it anyway. The brackets supplied for the shelving is best placed every 32" (or on every other stud) for good support. Don't rely on wall covering, such as sheetrock, alone to support the weight. Likewise, I go into houses where the shelving guys have put the back shelf clips every 6", and not a one hit a stud. You don't need that many, and if you hit a stud with one every 16", man that is enough!

Old 06-18-07, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks chandler

My plan is to mount the shelf platform even with the top of the peg board approx 7' @ that point. This will enable me to take advantage of the full peg board area! I'm mounting to cement block so it will be secured w/masonary anchors @ shelf level and at bottom of the angle brackets that hold front of the shelf and project on a downward @ 45 degree angle to the peg board, these will include a total of 5- supports @ 24" intervals