Cutting a cabinet in half

Old 06-17-07, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting a cabinet in half

I'm currently in the middle of kitchen remodel. Of course new cabinets were in order. I went to a cabinet outlet (next day delivery) and one of the pantry cabinets I knew was going to be too big for the space. I am near the point in which I need to turn this baby from a 24' depth to a 18' depth. There is one fixed shelf which too will need to be cut. I got two questions:

1) Best tool for the job (I'm thinking circle saw or jigsaw guided of course).
2) Should the shelf be removed before cutting or should I keep it in and use the small cut marks from cutting the outside of the cabinet as my line for cutting it back?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-07, 02:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The best thing to do is disassemble the entire cabinet and cut the pieces on a table saw, and reassemble the pieces to the new dimension. They didn't have an 18" cabinet?

Old 06-18-07, 03:41 PM
T
Why do you need to reduce from 24" to 18". Most pantry cabinets are 24" because that is the depth of the base cabinets. Bathroom linen cabinets can be ordered from some manufacturers in 18" and 21" depth. Please explain your issue.

Old 06-20-07, 01:23 PM
D
Chandler,

If the hardware is out of the way, and there is no top, could you not cut it on a table saw and just turn it three times?

DWC

Old 06-20-07, 02:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Yes, after re-reading the OP and Twelvepole's reply, I realized he was cutting it back, not side to side. Placing it on a table saw with a fence, and turning it will get'r done. Thanks for the heads up.