Floor Joists

Old 06-26-07, 09:16 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Floor Joists

Hello, I'm having the floor joists replaced in one room of my home. Baltimore uses the International Building Code/2000. One contractor has told me that I can replace the old 2x8s with new 2x8s, while another had said that I need to use 2x10s. The purpose of replacing the joists is that they will be raised to create head room in the basement. If replaced with 2x8s, the unfinished height will be 6'9". Does anyone know 1. what size joists are actually required and 2. what height is required for a basement to pass inspection? Thank you very much for your posts.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-07, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I can only really tell you that typical habital rooms in the basement have to have a minimum 7'0" ceiling height, but you should call your local authorities to be sure since they are the ones signing it off.

Old 06-26-07, 03:24 PM
J
I agree with Hot, the local code authority is the one you have to deal with, they have the final say. But I would not want 2x8 under my feet, too bouncy. If you are raising the first floor to allow basement habitation, what does that do to the first floor headroom???

Old 06-27-07, 06:17 AM
B
Thumbs up Thanks guys

I'll call the folks at Baltimore housing. First floor head room will be roughly 7'5" - there will be a step down into a sunk in living room, where the ceiling height will go back to 8'4" or so.