Building my perfect office desk space.

Old 07-03-07, 07:41 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building my perfect office desk space.

I would like to try my hand at building the costum desk space in my office. I don't have dimensions atm as im work but I'd just like maybe some general advice.

What I want to do is build basically 3 pieces that basically "float" from the wall. Meaning similar to a floating shelf. So there will be no legs. The 3 pieces will go around half of the room. So I'll have 2 corner pices and one long center piece. I think I will be putting on a small backsplash type thing that will butt up to the wall. I think this will look nicer and also im sure my walls are not perfectly striaght and this should help to hide that fact. I've been looking for some design ideas for this project but havn't been able to find what I'm looking for. I'm pretty much a beginner at building any type of furniture and want this to look nice. I require a lot of desk space as I have need for a few workstation to be set up.

I guess i can pretty much see what im going to do as how the 3 pieces will look in general but I need some tips on how to make it look nice. You know all the little details and such. Also if anyone know's of any plans for this type of thing and can point me in the right direction I'd certainly appreciate it!

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-07, 08:56 AM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Office

Unless you are a magician, I doubt you will be able to build a work space without support from below. A photo or diagram of the space might be helpful for us to see in order to offer suggestions. Good luck with your project.

Old 07-03-07, 09:11 AM
H
support

wirepuller38 is right, if you are looking to put in a floating desk that covers one long wall with two corners then wall will never hold it up and i dont think you should try that if a workstation will be the one sitting on it.

although your idea is really cool maybe you could revise it and ad single supports at the end of the desk and in the middle. or even hanging supports from the ceiling, even if that is hard work to get the correct ballance weight on each support. (for ceiling supports)

whatever you decide good luck!

Old 07-03-07, 09:47 AM
G
Well when I say "floading" I mean this and you tell me if this still wouldn't work. Basically I planned to use many large "L" type brackets mounted to the wall. One side mounts to the all and the other under the desk. They would not be flimsy. Kind of a right angle and on the outter edge round it or something. But it would exted out to almost the end of the desk surface from underneath. Would that work or would I still need some form of support on the outer edge of the desk? Remember I plan on doing this in sections and not one huge piece. But this is good to know if this will not work. heheh I'd hate to learn the hard way and mess up my wall!

Thanks for the imput!

Old 07-03-07, 10:42 AM
It sounds like you have your heart set on this so I'm sorry to say that what you are proposing would be structurally unsound in my opinion. (I am from Closets Central. We manufacture and sell ready-to-assemble systems that include Home Office.)

Even monster L-brackets could not support the weight because they were never intended for this purpose. I think it would only be a matter of time before they start pulling away from the wall.

Hawkeye suggested a good compromise though. Perhaps cables and decorative leg supports would even add to the look.

We're going to want to see pictures when this is done, please.
Katie

Last edited by Bandana; 07-03-07 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-03-07, 10:54 AM
G
Talking

Well I won't die if I can't do it that way. I will come up with some sort of leg work around. I guess at one end I can use a file cabinet. I also planned on building on a type of large dwar system on the other end to hold my 2 printers. They would pull out and could be putt away when not in use. That would go to the ground anyway so that could be the other end. Then I'll just have to come up with some support for the center. Not the end of the world. I"m glad I asked before doing this only to find out later that it wasn't a good idea! and yes I'll post pictures if I ever get the ball rolling on this. I have big ideas but getting them off the ground so to speak is the hard part.

I guess I just need to bite the bullet and go get me some wood. What would you suggest using? Oak plywood is what I was thinking. I want it to look as nice as possible.

Thanks again!

P.S. One more little question I want the desk top it self to appear like it's nice and think. I was thinking of putting on like a lip on the front edge and sides. Would this be a good way of achieveing this effect?

I really wish I could find a picture of what im looking to do! I've searched and searched but just can't find anything that's like what I want to do.

Old 07-03-07, 11:16 AM
KV (Knape Voigt) makes shelf brackets that can carry extreme weights (300 lbs. plus). The require a standard to be attached to the wall (in a stud) but they look failry nice and can be cut to hide them under the working top.

Your idea of a 'dress' lip on the front edge would hide the brackets. The various segments of the top could be tied together (from underneath) with standard mending plates.

Have you considered whether you'll want drawer space? If you will, you'll need at least some vertical members under the top to carry the drawers...

Old 07-03-07, 12:07 PM
G
Yea on one end I planned on putting in a type of drawer for my printers. I think maybe on the other end I can incorporate a file cabinet type thing. I'm having trouble actually designing it. And all the little details to make it actually look nice I"m not really sure how to do. This will be my first actual large piece of furniture.

Old 07-03-07, 03:02 PM
Yes, you can get right angle brackets to hold up counter tops. The will probably be a special order item, but they are used all the time. I have installed some just like the design you have in mind. You use lag screws to attach the brackets to the studs. I would put a bracket about every 3 to 4 feet. Oak finished plywood would be just fine. You can buy custom border
any any Home Improvement. Good Luck

Old 07-07-07, 08:03 AM
Here's a link to a place that sells brackets that can take extreme loads. As Jack the Contractor stated, you use lag screws to attach the brackets to the studs.

http://www.supportbrackets.com/index.html

Old 07-07-07, 11:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The angle supports mentioned in several posts may work for moderate weight, but we had them installed for a long countertop for our Audio/Visual equipment at our church. They are rated high, but severely lacked in support IMO, as there was constant flexing, and if someone leaned on the edge, well, you could really see the flex. I eventually had to build a cabinet with doors to fit under the countertop in the middle, as the run was too terribly long (25'). We stand up most of the time, anyway, so we didn't lose any leg space, since we positioned our mixer and lighting at either end.
Check your potential weight and get the supports accordingly.