Refinishing Picnic Table

Old 07-04-07, 11:18 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refinishing Picnic Table

I have a picnic table I built about 10 years ago from treated pine. I want to "freshen it up" a bit, so I'm resanding and restaining it.

Problem: Everywhere I countersunk the screwheads I have filled with various types of wood putty over the years. All seemed to shrink or expand or crack or just plain fall out.

In someone's informed opinion, what is THE BEST type of putty to use?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-07, 11:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 268 Votes on 237 Posts
If you are staining the wood you basically need to stick with colored putty to match. IMO there is no noticable difference between brands.

Your best defense against putty failure is to keep the table well finished. This will protect the putty from drying out and failing.

Old 07-04-07, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 582 Votes on 535 Posts
I use Leech wood filler (http://www.leechadhesives.com/woodfiller.htm) which seems to be pretty good at bonding to wood. It sure bonds to your fingers! But Marksr is right about keeping the table finished. That will protect the putty and preserve the bond more than anything. If you are staining it, the stain just doesn't provide as much protection for the putty as paint would, so you will probably have some spots to repair every year regardless of what product you use. It's likely that water soaking into the edges of the repairs is what is making the repairs fail. Minwax makes a two part wood repair, which is okay too, but I prefer Leech's product because you can use it right out of the can. It's a little runny, and is supposed to be applied in successive thin coats, which help it cure completely as it dries.