Refinishing Moulding

Old 07-04-07, 08:16 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refinishing Moulding

I just purchased a home built in 1974 and the baseboards as well as the rest of the woodwork is very dark (stained). They don't look like they've been re-polyed since they were put in in 1974. Is it tough to get new paint to adhere to the already stained & polyed baseboards??? How would I prep them for paint to avoid chipping, peeling, etc in the future? Or would it be best to just buy new & paint them from scratch?

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-07, 08:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You would need to sand down the existing finish to make the surface rough. After the moulding has been sanded enough to where you do not see any shining, clean the surface well with a product like TSB or a damp cloth.

Once it is prepped, apply a good coat of primer and apply your finish.

They do sell primed moulding at Home Depot, but if you are not familiar with using a miter saw and some calculations, you will end up throwing away money because of the wasted wood. Trust me, I've wasted alot of money trying to figure out how to cut it.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-07, 08:32 PM
J
I am actually a math guy and very handy w/ my mitre saw. I guess what I'm getting at is how well will the paint stick to the existing moulding versus new? I'm leaning towards new, but painting the existing would be easier if it only needed a light scuffing (sanding)... Joe

Old 07-04-07, 08:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I refinished my moulding a few months back after a failed attempt at cutting new and it came out great. If you sand off that poly and apply primer, it will adhere very well.

Old 07-04-07, 09:13 PM
G
Shewww, that is going to be a bit of work. Would you be pulling the trim off the wall to refinish it? If so you risk damaging some of the pieces by breaking them. If were me, I'd just replace the trim with new.

Old 07-05-07, 11:32 AM
C
I would probably replace it with new, esp if its just standard builders grade stuff. Installation should be easier if its painted, a little caulk can hide alot of mistakes. You'll definately want a finish nailer.