help! I need a creative solution for radiator covers

Old 07-11-07, 05:56 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question help! I need a creative solution for radiator covers

I am renovating an entire house, and am on a pretty tight budget. After I saw how expensive it would be to buy radiator covers for all of the radiators in my house, I decided to make my own out of MDF. I have still run into a budget problem though - the aluminum screening part that will go in the front and the side openings is really expensive too! I went to Lowe's and it was $40.00 for just a small sheet of it that wouldn't even be enough for one cover! Does anyone have any idea of some other material I could use for the screen part of my home made covers? i thought about pegboard, but wasnt sure if the holes were large enough or if the material would radiate heat or block it. I'm not picky about look as long as I can paint it white and of course, it must encourage the heat to come into the room. Any ideas at all? Thanks guys! I've posted some questions before and gotten great help. DIY rocks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-07, 11:18 AM
How about regular screen wire? Most hardware stores sell it by the foot in various widths.

Old 07-11-07, 02:42 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Covers

Screen wire may not be stong enough. Hardware cloth would be a possibility.

Old 07-16-07, 01:09 PM
J
thanks for the ideas. A friend of mine suggested I try going through a metal shop directly for actual metal grates. I called them, gave them the measurements and it will be about 1/3 of the cost of getting the same stuff at Home Depot/Lowe's. That'll work for me! Plus, they'll cut it to size for me. Cutting out the middle man sometimes is the best bet.

Old 07-22-07, 06:57 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thumbs up Radiator covers????

This was the craziest idea ever... I don't know who thought of it...but I prefer a stripped down radiator as they were originally designed, and a specialized paint like a silver or gold or both. The heat output difference you won't believe. Its like trying to keep warm in the kitchen by running the stove with the door closed. You might get a bit of warmth but the cost is up there... Plus it's real cheap!!! Think of it. Add a pot on top and you have a humidifier...some companies actually have a hanging rack that is specifically for that purpose. Place wet mittens on it...wet boots dry out... steam is great, don't box it in! You'll also save on fuel...