Entertainment center backing

Old 07-18-07, 05:07 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cool Entertainment center backing

I've put a new back on my entertainment center. It's the same kind of stuff that was on there before. About 1/4 inch thick. Not wood. (Sorry, I don't know what it's called) Anyway, I need to drill holes for the tv, etc. cords to go through to the back.
I was thinking of using one of those round cut saw things that fit on the end of a drill. Then while checking them out online, I saw what's called a 'hole saw'. It is also used with a hand drill. My cuts will probably be about 1-1/2" in diameter. Does that mean that I probably need the round saw thing? Or would the hole saw thing be preferred.
Somewhere else I read that it would be a good idea to use a backerboard to prevent splitting or shredding of the board so I'll be doing that.
Appreciate any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-07, 05:18 AM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Hole Saw

The material you have may be Masonite. Masonite is dark brown with a hard surface.

Use the hole saw with an electric or cordless drill. The hole saw has a drill bit in the center to stabalize the hole saw. Cut from the back side first just enough to score the surface. Then cut from the front side to finish cutting the hole. This will reduce fraying of the edges. Using a backer block as you mentioned will also reduce fraying, but you will need a helper to hold the block. Use slow drill speed. The hole size must accomodate the largest plug which needs go through the hole. Good luck with your project.

Old 07-18-07, 06:38 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for responding. Masonite sounds right. This may sound like a dumb question - How can I be sure that I'm drilling in the same place - front and back? You say that the hole saw has a drill bit in the center - maybe that goes through first? and then I can just drill in the same hole on the other side?
As far as the backer block - should I use a 2x4 type piece of wood or leftover Masonite?

Old 07-18-07, 07:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 570 Votes on 523 Posts
Masonite is actually a company and brand name, but the word has become synonymous with many types of pressed cardboard material such as peg board, sheet goods, lap siding, etc.

The actual name of the product is 1/8" or 1/4" tempered hardboard.

I agree that the hole saw would be best, running the center pilot bit barely through (which marks the center of the hole on the opposite side), but not letting the hole saw drill all the way through. Then going around to the other side to finish the hole. No backing is necessary if you do it like wirepuller suggested.

Old 07-18-07, 12:26 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Hole saw

You are correct, MarP. The pilot bit for the hole saw goes through first.