Screen porch repair

Old 07-28-07, 07:16 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Screen porch repair

I am ready to tackle necessary repais to my porch. Ceiling and roof are fine.
Supporting 4X4s are rotted at the bottom, flooring is rotted in corners and under supports, outer rim joists are rotted in corners where they meet the 6 inch pipe supports. I plan to support the roof with 2X8 buttrusses, remove the corner supports (one at a time) jack up the corner of the framing, install pressure treated 2X10 rim joists, straighten pipe (which had kicked out a tad do to the shifting weight when it rotted.), intall new corner supports and lower everything together. Sounds easy on paper. My question is this: what is the proper way to drain water from the floor on a screen porch which is gonna get wet. should there be a screen covered drain in a corner with a slope built toward that corner? Should the bottom edge of the walls have a screen covered space to let water escape? I'm puzzled. This is my first post to this forum. I hope the collective knowledge can help me out. TIA!
Bob in the Northeast

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-07, 11:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Are you planning on making a solid floor with something like pt plywood, etc? You will definitely have a water problem if you do that. Normally a deck can be dropped at the edge about an inch to allow for drainage, but the drainage is usually only across one 5 1/2" board at a time, so a drastic slope isn't necessary. If you solidify the floor, you are, in essence, making a roof, and the floor will need adequate drop to shed water, and you wouldn't be happy with the results.
Since you are screening and not making a 4 season room, why not use standard 5/4 x 6 decking and screen under the deck to eliminate bugs, but allow water to fall through?

Old 07-29-07, 06:53 AM
B
Originally Posted by DIYBobby View Post
I am ready to tackle necessary repais to my porch. Ceiling and roof are fine.
Supporting 4X4s are rotted at the bottom, flooring is rotted in corners and under supports, outer rim joists are rotted in corners where they meet the 6 inch pipe supports. I plan to support the roof with 2X8 buttrusses, remove the corner supports (one at a time) jack up the corner of the framing, install pressure treated 2X10 rim joists, straighten pipe (which had kicked out a tad do to the shifting weight when it rotted.), intall new corner supports and lower everything together. Sounds easy on paper. My question is this: what is the proper way to drain water from the floor on a screen porch which is gonna get wet. should there be a screen covered drain in a corner with a slope built toward that corner? Should the bottom edge of the walls have a screen covered space to let water escape? I'm puzzled. This is my first post to this forum. I hope the collective knowledge can help me out. TIA!
Bob in the Northeast
Another method to consider is,on the base of the screened in wood frame that rests on the floor create slots in the bottom of it across its length for water to escape and apply extra screen as needed

Old 08-03-07, 03:30 AM
D
Screen Porch repair

Thanks for the ideas. I found a book that showed a perimeter made from pressure treated that had grooves as you suggested. They undercut the yellow pine tongue and groove butting against itand made a metal trough that the water that wept throughcould be carried out of these grooves.
I guess that's not very clear, but I could elaborate if needed. Thanks again.