Staircase Railing Installation help

Old 08-14-07, 06:29 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staircase Railing Installation help

I am installing railings on interior stairs. The railing and newels will be oak and the balusters 9/16 wrought iron. They will be installed on the stair treads and on oak flooring at the top of the landing. Can I get some pointers as to the easiest way to do the install. I have the old chicj=ken and egg questions ie, do you install the railing first then drill out and install the balusters or vice versa. Is there any type of jig available to ensure that the holse are drilled at the proper angle on the railings etc. Thanks

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-07, 01:14 PM
B
Railing

I have tried this once. Although I somehow managed to install it (with many more unncessary holes, though) but it was not at all easy, unless you are a really skilled, patient, craftsman. Since then, we redid the staircase by a professional as part of the house remodelling project. What a difference! I don't mean to discourage your attempt here but that is not one of the projects that just anyone can tackle, not even professional carpenters. Look for someone with training and experience in that area. But good luck (You definetely need the jig).

Old 08-14-07, 01:28 PM
J
Ouch. I hope that I don't feel the same way after I'm done. It's my daughters house so if it doesn't come out correctly I'll really feel bad. Hopefully some others can give me advise so that I can proceed without too much fear

Old 08-14-07, 03:27 PM
J
The easiest way to do railings is to call someone that really knows how. If you screw up one expensive railing, volute, etc., you will quickly understand what I mean.