Framing Hall Clost

Old 08-17-07, 02:59 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing Hall Clost

My husband and I are building a closet in a wide hallway that will be about 8' long, 8' high and 19" deep with bifold doors across the front. One end will be in a corner already there. We will frame out the wall on the other end which will be 8' high by 19". All three attached sides of that wall and the header have joists and/or studs to nail into. Question - the hallway is currently finished with drywall. My husband is thinking we might have to cut out the drywall where the header and wall will be attached to joists and studs so they are wood to wood. That seems like a lot of extra work and mess to me, but we want to do it right. Is it necessary to cut out the existing drywall or can we just nail through it?

Thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-07, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are some that will tell you to cut out the drywall. But I would screw right through it. There is plenty of support for your closet, and that is one less wall you have to drywall. I have done this many times, and not a problem. Good Luck

Old 08-17-07, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree with Jack. Since it will be supporting no weight and will be confined within its own boundaries, screw it to the existing wall/supports. Figure your header, jack studs and case molding in your measurements for your door.

Old 08-17-07, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 582 Votes on 535 Posts
I agree with Larry and Jack.

First remove the baseboard on the existing walls that will have new walls built against them. New drywall will tape right to the existing drywall. If the new walls (or top plates) happen to land between studs, you can use construction adhesive and toggle bolts (if needed) to hold things in place until the glue sets up. Old baseboard can be saved to patch in the old baseboard with the new, in the event that the exact same profile can't be located.

BTW, Jack, congratulations on # 4000.