Plans for something like this? (Building a desk)

Old 08-20-07, 06:13 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plans for something like this? (Building a desk)

I wan't to make a desk similar to what image im including in this post. I've not been able to find any plans for anything close to this. I'm new to really building furniture. To be honsest I've never done it before. But I want to start and this is the first project I have lined up. Mainly the need for a desk like this is mainly for the desk space with some storaged included. Anyway if anyone can point me in the directions of some sort of plans or maybe even help me with some software that would help me design my own plans that would be great too!

Thanks a lot.

Link to image. http://www.pocketlint.net/index-desk.html

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-07, 11:17 AM
G
Here is a design I did with Visio. About the best I can come up with but i think it gives a pretty good idea of what im trying to do. I guess tonight im going to figure out the demensions and do all the measurements. Maybe I guess I'm almost ready to get me some wood and start? But maybe some feedback would be helpfull.

Heres a link to what i've done.

http://wazzup.info/images/office2.jpg

Old 08-20-07, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You've got a great start. Your side wall units will be no wider than 4' according to your drawing, as your chair inset on the 45 degree part will take it down to 21" I assume. You don't want the end of the permanent unit to extend beyond the sliding glass door unit. Just out of curiosity, how are you fixed for cabinet making tools? Table saw, biscuit cutter, router with dado blade, etc. Or will you be doing this by hand with minimal tools. It will help us to know. Good luck with the project!

Old 08-21-07, 07:21 AM
G
Thank you for your reply.

That's not a sliding door on the left side it's a window. I can go under the window so It can go past that point.

As for tools this is exactly what I need to know. I can borrow some. I can get my hands on a table saw, circular saw, miter box (sp?) I think router and nail gun oh and a power sander. As for what blades I need and all would be great info to know.

Also what confuses me is how to attach everything together. I think im ok with planning and figureing out all my measurements. Then I can get everything cut. But now comes the part to put it all together. This is where I scratch my head a little. Like for instance if you looked at my design and understood it. I show that I want to "face" around the desk top to give it a thicker look. Would I just use wood glue and small nails to attach the faceing around the edges of the desk top? Also my leg design. What would be the best way to attache the desk top to the legs? I kinda want to keep this in 3 or 4 seperate pices. That way if I have to move it for any reason it's not that difficult to do.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my ramblings. I do plan to go look for a book or something also that will help me figure this stuff out. But I love using forums as a source of information as well.

Thanks again.

Oh one more thing. how tall is a standard desk usually? Im trying to figure that part out too.

Also hehe one last question. As for wood I wanted to use oak plywood for the desk top part. What about the rest of it though?

Old 08-21-07, 02:17 PM
Start from the bottom, that's easier. Using the oak plywood is a good choice. You can continue with the oak, or use sandeply. It is a 14 ply cabinet grade plywood in 3/4".
Banding or facing the desk will give it a rich thick look. Just rip oak pieces, glue the and nail them to the plywood edges. Yep, it's that simple.
Desk height? You would really have to look around at desks and sit behind them to see what suits you. Although they are more normally the same size, you may want to alter yours to suit your needs.
Attaching all the pieces will be a challenge. You can install cleats along where your legs will go to attach the top and legs at one common area. Of course glue and finish nails here, too. Personally, whenever I have a stress point, I like countersinking screws into the joints for better holding power and installing a matching plug with the grain in line with the grain on the wood I drilled into. Inset your legs from the edge of the top to provide a shadow line.
Don't forget to install a brace across the back connecting the legs and top to for good stability. It doesn't have to be the full height of the desk. It can be 18" or so.
Tools. Table saw, miter saw, screw gun, finish nailer, brad nailer, air compressor and hose, circular saw, router and bits, T-square, saw horses, I'll think of more, but if you can equip yourself with borrowed or bought items like these, you are well on your way.

Old 08-21-07, 07:13 PM
G
Thank you so much for your replies!

Oh yes as for the bottom brace between the legs I completley forgot to add that to my desing. heheh I did have that in my head

Turns out my wifes unkle is very good with building furniture and has aggreed to help me with this! So this will be great. With his help I wll finally get this project done. It's been a very long time that I've wanted to get this done. I've looked high and low to just buy something similar but I've not been happy with what I've found. Plus anything close ended up being way too expensive. So I figured why not build it myself? Hehe well jsut getting it out of my head to something I could even show someone proved to be a bigger pain then I thought. Welp I think I'm well on my way. soon as I get a little extra money I can go get me some wood and get started. When it's done I'll post a few pictures. My plan is to get it done before winter here so hopefully soon.

Thanks again!

Old 08-22-07, 06:47 AM
Standard desk height is 29" but, as Larry said, that is just a guideline.

Old 08-22-07, 06:57 PM
Yeah, for my sister almost 24" would be too high. Height challenged, you know. Her legs dangle in a kitchen chair. Be sure to post pix when you get through!

Old 08-23-07, 01:20 PM
G
Yea Im 6'4" so I'll have to figure it out. What my desk is now is about good so I'll measure it.

And I'll post pics when done. Hopefully it will be in the next month or so. Soon as I can go get some wood and get started. Thanks guy's!

Old 11-19-07, 11:55 AM
G
Just catching up since my last posts. And im happy to report that I've finally gotten started on my desk! I should have it completed in a week or so and I'll be posting pics!

I think it's going to come out nicely

Old 01-07-08, 06:58 AM
G
OK it's been a while but I finally finished. Well for now im finished. I want to build some cabinets for the wall and such but im going to wait for summer to take on that project. This was my first time building anything so it took me forever! And there are a few imperfections but for the most part im happy with it. Here's some pics as promised

http://www.wazzup.info/images/desk/desk1
http://www.wazzup.info/images/desk/desk2
http://www.wazzup.info/images/desk/desk3
http://www.wazzup.info/images/desk/desk4
http://www.wazzup.info/images/desk/desk5
http://www.wazzup.info/images/desk/desk6

ONe thing is these pictures don't do it justice really. I put lighting all through the underneath and back of the desk. It looks really nice with the lights wich you can't see in these photos unfortunately.

Old 01-07-08, 03:30 PM
Unable to open the pictures. I'm not the brightest bulb in the package, so is there a trick?

Old 01-08-08, 06:27 AM
G
Old 01-08-08, 02:28 PM
Holy Mackerel, Andy! Super job! You can really be proud of this accomplishment, no doubt.

Old 01-09-08, 06:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
You should post these in the new "Did it myself" section here:

http://www.doityourself.com/did-it-myself

Nice job!

tg

Old 01-09-08, 07:42 AM
G
Thanks! I am very proud of how it turned out. Everyone was like "why the heck is it taking you so long?" Heheh between a wife and 20 month old boy doing this project for the last month and a half wasn't easy to pull off. But like I said I really wish I could capture how it looks in the room with the lighting in it. I love it.

Also something I don't have a picture of (becuase my wife deleted all my early shots from our camera grumble) are pictures of the back side and all my cable management rails.
I put in a nice track system that I pulled off of an old server rack. So all allong the back mounted above the power supplies is a track that all my cables can run in. Works pretty nice.

Anyway thanks for the kind words. I plan to do more furniture over time. I have a few more projects on the back burnner. Taking a break for a bit till it warms up. Working in my non insulated garage in the middle of winter in Chicago isn't fun

Old 01-09-08, 01:47 PM
G
I took your suggestion and put up a did it myself page

http://www.doityourself.com/did-it-m...ce-office-desk