pt wood

Old 08-21-07, 10:03 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pt wood

I'm planning to build more furniture for my patio. I've used cedar to build other outdoor stuff but this will be painted so I'm considering using pt pine. What type of pt wood is used for furniture usually?? ACQ treated wood directions state to wear gloves to handle it but yet I see so much outdoor furniture sold that is constructed with pt wood. The only info I found was never use pt wood above .25 for skin contact. Is this right?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-07, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
There's really no "skin contact" criteria, but, yes, using the .25 as opposed to the .40 would reduce leaching to the skin. Making furniture, the wood will have to be relatively dry. Sopping wet pieces will shrink inordinately and make wobbly furniture. Paint won't adhere well to pt lumber until it releases most of its moisture, so wait before you prime and paint it.

Old 08-21-07, 03:37 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks. I did figure the moisture content would be too high in new pt wood so I made some calls to find KDAT pine. It's not really available in my area. I'm building mostly chairs so maybe I'll use pt for the legs only. I have some left over from another job that's already dried out. I was also thinking that even if I didn't use pt wood and maintained the top coat I would get at least 7 to 10 years out of them.