fixing up old dresser

Old 09-05-07, 12:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question fixing up old dresser

For starters I want to say I have never done anything like this before but have always been interested. I recently picked up an old dresser at a yard sale, it is covered in vineer (at least that's what my husband called it, its a thin layer of decorative wood covering the real wood underneath). The vineer is chipping and peeling away. I would really like to refinish the dresser but am short on time because it is needed for use in my mothers home. I have already started to remove the loose vineer but am having trouble with the area's where the glue is still holding tight. Any help I can get on how to remove the vineer easily, or any suggestions on how to refinish this right (in a short amount of time) would be very much appreciated. My mother dosent really care how it looks but I would really like her to have somthing nice. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-07, 03:50 PM
J
Since you have already started removing the veneer, you are committed. Heat from a paint remover type heat gun should soften the adhesive as you scrape with a stiff putty knife. New veneer material may be available at a local lumberyard, usually not at big box. But for a better selection, try Roklers website/catalog.

Old 09-06-07, 01:39 PM
M
Smile thanks

Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Since you have already started removing the veneer, you are committed. Heat from a paint remover type heat gun should soften the adhesive as you scrape with a stiff putty knife. New veneer material may be available at a local lumberyard, usually not at big box. But for a better selection, try Roklers website/catalog.
thanks for the quick reply and the advice the dresser had water damage veneer was warped and blistered so it had to come off in some spots though i have managed to keep most of it. dont know were i would find a paint remover gun but was also told a steam iron would work think i'll try that thanks again