Hanging Heavy Object (LCD TV) Above Fireplace

Old 01-08-08, 08:49 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging Heavy Object (LCD TV) Above Fireplace

I'm trying to hang a 47 inch LCD TV above my fireplace. Fireplace is gas logs and rarely used. I've read that it's OK to hang LCD above a fireplace, but plamsa is a no-no. After I found my stud and attempted to screw in the 3-4 inch bolt that came with the TV mount, I hit brick (or something) after about 1 1/2 inches. Apparently the studs are only 1 by 1. Do you think the blue tapon screws would do the job? I plan on using about 8. Any other options? The TV is around 65 pounds. The mount is around 20 pounds.

Thanks,
Sam

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-08, 11:10 AM
S
Exploratory Surgery

Before anybody can suggest what you can use to anchor this TV mount, you have to know what is behind the drywall.

Let's suppose you used Tapcons and they really didn't bite into the unknown wall material. You could end up with your LCD TV on the floor.

It sounds like you have some type of strapping to which the sheetrock is attached, but who says the strapping is securely attached to the unknown material behind it? It may be secure enough to hold drywall, but adding the 85 pounds to it my be beyond its capability to hold.

I see this as having two choices:

1) Remove some drywall to see what is behind the install location and beef it up to make sure it will hold the mount an TV weight. Then tape, compound and paint to dress it back up and you can enjoy your TV.

OR

2) Attach the mount to the current setup and hope you don't end up with your TV in your lap!!!

Old 01-12-08, 08:21 PM
S
Thanks for the reply. I spoke to the contractor that actually built my house back in the 80's. He couldn't remember exactly what was behind the wall, but he recommended attaching a 1 * 6 (or whatever 1 by best fits your mount) to the wall first. I knew I had small studs behind the wall. I used a magnet to find the nailheads. I cut the 1*6 a little longer than the TV mount, because I wanted to attach it to 3 of the studs using 6 screws. I then attached the TV mount to the 1*6. All seems secure. Now to just deal with those dang cables.