Using MDF stair treads?

Old 01-09-08, 04:37 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using MDF stair treads?

I am getting ready to put some stair treads down that will go up the steps to a gameroom over the garage. I will be painting them and then putting a carpet runner down the middle of them. I am wondering if anybody has any experience with the MDF treads. They are a lot less expensive then the pine or oak and since I am going to paint them and carpet runner is going over the middle I thought they might be fine to use. My concern I think is the nails holding them down properly. Any input or installation info is greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-08, 05:41 AM
C
Received 89 Votes on 68 Posts
Just a guess, but I would think that MDF may not have the strength required for stair treads. I don't know if it's building code approved for that use.

Personally, I wouldn't use it because of the safety issues.

Old 01-10-08, 06:30 AM
Mine are 1 inch thick. I have 3 stringers 16 inches on center. I glued and screwed the treads and have no problems. They have been in place almost 4 year now. Not sure about the codes. Check with your local inspector.

Old 01-10-08, 08:26 AM
T
Use wood!! The cost difference is minimal over the short run - and the quality difference is huge over the long run....

Old 01-17-08, 09:30 AM
K
what about the thickness of the risers? does it matter if it is 1/2 or 3/4 inch?

Old 01-17-08, 03:26 PM
J
I have to agree with the others, MDF is not good for treads!!!!!! Not sure about local code, it just makes no sense to skimp on stairs. MDF is not good in damp areas, and no matter how dry the basement seems, it is damp, compared to the rest of the house.