Particle Board Cuts

Old 01-10-08, 07:58 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Particle Board Cuts

Can anyone suggest a way to cut particle board or a type of saw to use?

I purchased a fine tooth saw which helped get a smooth cut on the top side but underneath it was still chipping away when cutting. I was hoping a fine blade for my circular saw might work. Any other suggestions?

I also heard the using a utility knife along the line before cutting helps with the chipping.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-08, 03:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Are you sure it is particle board? How thick is it? Is it OSB or MDF, instead? What will you be using it for?

Old 01-11-08, 04:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Putting the side subject to chipping against a sacrificial board like a piece of 1/4" plywood should help - the chips will then occur in the sacrificial piece.

Old 01-11-08, 01:59 PM
T
Im putting up some closet cupboards that I bought last week, I just need to cut a few more shelves to size.

I am pretty certain its particle board...one of those closetmaid systems.

I like the idea of the plywood, that make sense. I'll probably try and clamp the board to it while I cut.

Old 01-11-08, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You're right on the particle board they use for shelving, but if you are adding shelving, you may want to consider MDF, which is better on moisture, but cutting using a sacrificial board is a good idea.

Old 01-11-08, 04:04 PM
C
Is it just particleboard, or melamine, which has a thin coat of plastic on the surfaces? That stuff chips really easily. A carbide blade with ATB tooth pattern cuts melamine very well. Scoring the line should help, and masking tape over the line so you're cutting through it will help, too. If the fine tooth sawblade you bought isn't carbide, it's going to get dull real fast, and that will affect your cut quality, too. Good luck.

Old 01-11-08, 08:02 PM
T
I think its probably melamine in that case. I have tried to avoid this stuff over the years, preferring the look of a decent wood.

This is the type of stuff I bought as an example. The shelves I spoke about earlier are also made from this stuff which I have to cut to size:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...esc&lpage=none

The saw I bought isn't carbide but I bought it for this job only. I'll give the tape a go and score it as well, hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-13-08, 06:19 PM
T
I scored the wood before cutting it and it worked really well, no chips at all.

Thanks for everyones advice