Please Help

Old 01-11-08, 01:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please Help

If Anyone Knows Of A Good Information Site Or Books That Can Help Or Even Advice Please Let Me Know. I Live In An Old House The Was Built Crooked So Everything In Here Goes Down Hill. Any Info On How To Straighten It Up. Plus Any Info On Renovation Would Be Great As I Am Removing Two Bedrooms To Redo Kitchen And Living Room. I Would Never Recommend This House Builder To Anyone. The Kitchen Is In The Back Of The House With One Window Right To A Hillside Thats About A Foot Away. So There Is No Thing As Lighting In Here. Also Ceilings Are From Old Thin Weird Material Tile. The Windows Have Been Replaced 3 Times By So Called Professionals But The Window Is Too Small Or Too Big For Its Sitting. I Can't Open Half Of Them And The Other Half If You Try To Open They Just Fall Outside. Lol. Like I Said I Have To Renovate This Whole House So Any Advice Or Info On Where To Learn Would Be Great As I Have 4 Small Children And Cannot Afford A Contractor, New House Or To Build A New House. Thanks In Advance. Please Only Positive Posts Please.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-08, 01:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Your little finger must get really tired when you type. Capitalizing every word is weird. Anyway, to the point....Do you plan on any major changes, such as bathroom, kitchen interiors, etc? Truing up the flooring is the first thing that needs to be done, but it is a difficult, and sometimes dangerous undertaking. How unlevel are the floors from the main load bearing wall? This could say alot about how your windows operate, too. I don't understand why the windows have to be changed so often. Mine have been in since 1973 and do a fine job. Fill us in with more details on the house, and we can give you a starting place.

Old 01-11-08, 02:42 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This post is entertaining, actually - sorry for the poster though.

Are you sure the house was really built that crooked, or did it settle crooked? How old of a house IS this? Maybe the builder is no longer alive.

You always need to assess if it is best to jack the house back up level or to leave it and fur out floors and possibly ceilings back to level. It can be done. In fact I have had the experience of leveling floors that have been out of level east to west and out of level north to south at the same time!, and with a belly in the floor!, and made it level and flat.

Ended up screwing 2 x's on edge every 16 inches. Then chaulklined each board. Then unscrewed them. Then cut the chaulk line. Then rescrewed them down. Because they were screwed down FIRST, earlier, they had conformed to the bow in the floor. That was the reason for screwing each of them down first. Then after they were chaulklined and cut and rescrewed down using the same location and holes, now each 2x was bellied on the bottom and supported evenly by the crooked/bowed original floor, but now was perfectly flat across the top. Used 12 foot straight edge 2 x to double check all the work before topping it off with 3/4 ply. It did indeed come out flat as a pancake.

Before I started, the settled-end of the kitchen floor was at the loadbearing outer wall that had the sandstone foundation and was almost 6 inches lower than the other end of the kitchen!