Please help me build some storage

Old 01-13-08, 10:15 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help me build some storage

I have a wall thats about 9' long in my home that I want to line with storage cabinets.

After looking in some magazines, I found a look that I really like. Its basically 8 boxes, each 3' long. They are stacked 3 per row, with only 2 on the top row.

So after some measuring, I'm ready to construct my 3 boxes. Each box will be 36" long, 18" deep, and 26" tall. I would like to install 1 shelf right in the middle of each one. Eventually, the bottom layer will each have doors, but that can wait. So for now Im just looking to build 8 boxes that have 2 sides, a top, a bottom, and a shelf.

My questions:

What sort of wood should I make these out of? I'm looking for sturdy, but they really won't be supporting much weight. Also, Im planning on painting them a solid color (not staining) so type of wood isn't that important.

Is there any particularly easy plan I can get to builiding this? The first time I built a "storage" cabinet, I made a frame out of 2x4's and then nailed really thin plywood all around it. Could I just make a box out of plywood and save the 2x4's?

The goals of this project are:
1. Be cost effective (as cheap as possible)
2. Still look decent when painted
3. Be sturdy

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-08, 10:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I would construct them using a cabinet grade 3/4" plywood, such as Sandeply. You can get it in birch or oak. That will alleviate the necessity of an interior frame. Install a back of 1/4" luan, and it will be really rigid. I am assuming you have access to a table saw, nailers, glue, etc for the construction. If not, let us know, and we can help you adapt, improvise and overcome.

Old 01-16-08, 08:23 AM
G
Out of curiosity, how much should I expect to spend per sheet of 3/4" plywood?

Old 01-16-08, 09:18 AM
Price will vary according to location. the building supply I work for sells 9 ply cabinet grade birch for about $35.00 a sheet

Old 01-24-08, 05:10 PM
M
For boxes that size, I would NOT recommend MDF. After a period of time the mdf would begin to sag, and the boxes would be extremely heavy. I agree with the others here, a sanded 3/4 ply with either edge banding or a face frame.