kitchen cabinets

Old 01-19-08, 11:26 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kitchen cabinets

I'm going to be building new cabinet doors for my kitchen and was wondering what kind of wood I should use. Against my preference my wife wants to paint them white so there is not really any point buying anything fancy, just something that will do the job. If someone could suggest a decent cheap wood to use that would be great.

EDIT: tools I have to do the job: table saw, router, drill, and miter saw, sadly no planer YET!

See link below for how I plan to build them however I think for the inside piece I'll just use 1/8 or 1/4 inch cabinet plywood as my wife wants them flat, no routered edges on that piece.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/cabinetdoors

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-08, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 585 Votes on 537 Posts
IMHO, you should invest in a "rail and stile" bit set for your router, and a router table, if you do not already have one. This will produce a much better door, and you can use 1/4" veneered plywood for your inserts in lieu of the raised panel insert. For some good illustrations of the joinery, Google "Freud rail and stile". There are various rail and stile bits depending on the profile you'd like. Many brands are available- Freud is one of the best.

I'd suggest that you use poplar- it is soft and easy to router and sand. If you purchase S4S poplar (sanded on 4 sides) you will not need a planer. You'll shape it, sand it, assemble it, prime and paint it, and you're ready to go.

You could also consider using MDF, but it creates a lot of dust! You can make a lot of cabinet doors with one 4x8 sheet of 3/4 MDF and one sheet of 1/4" plywood or tempered for not much money, if they will be painted anyway.

Old 01-19-08, 02:38 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'd have suggested poplar as well.

Old 01-20-08, 07:40 AM
T
Cool thanks for the info. Not sure where you two are from but I'm in BC Canada and I don't think poplar is a very common wood. (I probably should have mentioned location) It would have to be imported making it more expensive I would think. I don't want to use MDF as I think its an inferior product and the dust also bother me. Would pine be a good substitute? Its cheap here and we have lots.

Old 01-20-08, 08:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I think pine's too soft.

Old 01-20-08, 10:47 AM
C
Can you get birch? It's not soft, but its very fine grain lends itself well to painting.

Old 01-20-08, 11:24 AM
norm abrahm is doing a series on PBS on cabinets just watched the door one yesterday

being in Canada you don't get pbs but you can read it in fine woodworking here

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=29957

Old 01-23-08, 08:30 AM
Definitley don't use pine. It's soft, and has poor dimensional stability - which may be a problem if your doors are inset doors. May tend to twist also.

I wood go with soft maple, if poplar is not available. It's relatively inexpensive, and it's not as soft as it's name implies. Birch is a good option as well.

Old 02-01-08, 07:25 PM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Poplar, and MDF are going to be the easiest to paint. MDF will make a lot of dust, but it will really cut down on the sanding time. MDF is a good product, if it is well sealed.