Router buying help

Old 01-22-08, 02:55 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Router buying help

I figured someone here would be able to help me with a router purchase. Originally I was going to buy a," RONA" branded 12 amp punge/fixed base router 1/2 and 1/4 inch bit router for 100 bucks (3yr warranty) however I just wandered across a B&D 10 amp fixed/plunge router 1/4 in bit for 60 bucks. Due to cost alone I'm leaning towards the B&D but am a little hesitant as it doesn't take 1/2 inch bits and the other one is 2 amps bigger. I don't do a ton of woodworking and it would only get used say once every couple months.... Is there really that much advantage to the 1/2 inch bits versus just having 1/4 ?

LINK TO RONA ROUTER
http://www.rona.ca/product/vs-router...wer-tools_shop

Homedepot has the B&D but I found it for 60.
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-08, 03:46 PM
J
Porter Cable 690, general purpose router, lots of accessories available. Unlikely you will ever need another one.

Old 01-22-08, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
1/2" collets are needed for your larger router bits. If you ever planned on making raised panel doors or using rail and stile bits, or other large router bits, you would likely want to have the ability to use a 1/2" collet. Along with that, you would want a router with at least 2 1/4 HP or better. If the router doesn't have 2 1/4 HP it's probably only good for bits with 1/4" collet and you probably don't have any business attempting to use large router bits that need a 1/2" collet.

Old 01-22-08, 04:12 PM
T
Thanks for the advise. I think I will go with the Rona router. I knew it would do everything I need but was hoping to save a few bucks.....

Old 01-23-08, 04:13 AM
J
Now I know why I never heard of Rona, it is Aussie. Are you there or in the US?? If in the US, I assume the Rona is set up for US power/frequency?? Porter/Cable has all the gadgets available in that link, including a 1/2" collet. As suggested above, a 3+ HP router is needed for large production type jobs. They can be heavy, but mow thru most materials with ease. I also have the PC 3 1/4HP router.

Old 01-23-08, 07:48 AM
Rona is actually Canadian, and are set up for standard power.

You may or may not ever use the 1/2" collet, but it sure is nice to have if you need it.

My personal preference is to stay away from B&D tools, but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-28-08, 11:40 AM
J
Porter Cable sometimes runs a special, at HD, Buy the router and they send you 4 bits( 1/4") a few weeks later. For the occasional user, 1/4" is OK, but I prefer using 1/2" collettes especially when your working with oak, ash, etc.

I also recommend the PC sawsall too. Good luck, JB

Old 01-28-08, 01:46 PM
I personally have a Sears router. I have had a couple of them.NO problem. Portacable.Makita,Sears/Craftsman, Black and Decker all make great products. Buy the best you can afford and you won't have to do it again. I have had mine about 20 years. I have never had one that accepted 1/2 inch bits and never have broken one(hardwood or softwood). If I thought I needed a larger shaft(raised panels, etc.) I would buy a shaper.SAFETY FIRST!