Suggestion for Crown Molding layout.

Old 01-23-08, 09:49 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Suggestion for Crown Molding layout.

This is more a design question than cutting question. Installing crown molding and I have some columns along the wall to deal with. Pic below to illustrate.

Should I have the molding do a vertical turn down the soffit, then another vertical turn back into the column?
Or just end it on the ceiling @ the soffit and then continue the next piece of molding after the column/soffit area?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-08, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 582 Votes on 535 Posts
Stop/start it at the soffit.

Old 01-23-08, 05:22 PM
F
yeah, I'd suggest starting/stopping at the soffit. However, I would suggest two possible options:
1 - don't stop at the soffit. In other words, install the crown where the wall meets the ceiling AND where the soffit meets the ceiling.
2- buy small (about 1 1/2 inch) crown and install it where the column meets the soffit. I have done this and it looks GREAT and it's really easy to install. I hate that the column has that 1 inch (approx) block at the top where it meets the soffit. A small piece of crown, or even 1/4 round makes all the difference! If I knew how to post a picture, I'd show you what I mean.

Good luck!
Oh, by the way: I like the paint colors!

Old 02-01-08, 07:15 PM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I cant see the layout of the room, but why not install the crown on the soffit too?

Old 02-02-08, 04:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Since it will lay low on the beam, I'm with XSleeper, start and stop with the beam. Making two returns will make it the focal point rather than the beam, and will look too massive.