stair tread replacement

Old 01-23-08, 12:22 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question stair tread replacement

I ripped the carpet off my stairs in hope of an "easy" tread replacement. The goal is to replace a couple of broken treads then sand and stain all treads. Two years later and I'm still studying (avoiding) the project.

From other posts I've learned that the reverse stringers holding treads are called skirt boards. Furthermore, the type I have must be removed before I can replace treads. Any suggestions on the best method for removing the skirt boards?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-08, 01:33 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I wonder if you can cheat.

You might be able to saw the tread in half, or cut a section out of the middle of the 10 1/2 inch direction, then suck in each half toward the middle, pulling the halves out from the skirt.

Then when replacing with new board, obviously there is no way to reinstall a full-width replacement. You woud have to cut the tread so the length = exposed tread area + thickness of ONE skirt board. Then once it is slid in and hit down, then center it.

Old 02-07-08, 04:59 PM
T
The removal is correct.

For installation, over notch the required notch in the nose of the tread so that you can slide the tread far enough into the skirt board so that the tread will sit flat and then center it. Nail and glue the little over notched scrap back onto the nose of the tread. You basically want to be able to have a narrower tread than the dimension between the skirt board grooves. You might need to attach some supplemental wood pieces on the risers if this leaves you with too little bearing area.