Garage door trim

Old 01-29-08, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door trim

I'm going to replace the side jambs and trim piecies on a two car garage that have rotted away at the point where the wood meets the asphalt of the driveway. This rotting was due to the fact that the garage didn't have gutters/downspouts for years and years. Now that the gutters/downspouts have been installed and the water is draining away properly, the wood needs replacing. The garage is old and the jamb material is 2x6 pine with wood brickmoulding and then thermo-stop. I plan to use MDF brickmould and thermo-stop but am not sure about the 2x6. Should I use treated or would standard construction grade pine be sufficient? The final product will be primed and painted with a good quality exterior latex. Any input would be welcomed.

Thanks, Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-08, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
trim

Man Learnin...you have lots of projects goin on!

Treated lumber for the 2x6. And after you cut it to fit, soak the bottom in a wood preservative (not Thompsons or that kind of stuff) overnite before you install it.

And....I've never seen MDF brickmold...did you mean PVC?

Old 01-29-08, 04:46 PM
C
MDF will wick moisture and last only a short time. I've become a fan of PVC exterior trim.

Old 01-30-08, 09:51 AM
R
Lernin az I go,

I was faced with the same situation about 2 years ago. I replaced my brick molding with solid cellular PVC. I replaced the 2 X 6 jamb with a sandwich consisting of a 1 X 6 pressure treated pine, covered by a 1 X 6 solid cellular PVC. I screwed the sandwich together every 18" or so, alternating between inside edge and outside edge. The PT is only visible from inside the garage.

I had scarfed in 2 X 6 PT some years before at the bottom 24 inches of the jambs, but had a heck of time keeping paint on them. Moisture would still get in from the bottom.

The PVC doesn't have the moisture problem. It's holding up great. The only issue would be if you have to paint it a dark color. If you do, Sherwin Williams has a product that will accommodate darker colors on PVC.

Old 01-30-08, 10:22 AM
The brickmold I plan to use IS PVC...thanks for pointing that out Vic....I will avoid the MDF and yes Randy, the color will be a darker blue/gray color so I will recommend the SW paint to the customers. Thanks to all of you for your input.

Old 01-31-08, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Pvc

Hey Lernin,

One thing I forgot to mention. PVC expands and contracts a lot. When you cut your miters on the PVC BM, after you dry fit, and know its right, put a dab (small dab) of regular PVC pipe cement on the cut end. It will bond the joint together and never let it open up. Don't use much, you don't want it to squeeze out.
Also, are you using an air nailer?

Old 02-13-08, 10:14 AM
I planned to use my Paslode trim nailer. Thanks for the PVC Cement tip. I would have never thought of that one!

Old 02-13-08, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
OK, asked about the nailer, cause that PVC brickmold is pretty tough to hand nail. I found predrilling and putting the nails almost thru, then putting it up in place and hammering them worked best. Power nailer, should be a non-issue.

Old 08-08-08, 04:57 AM
Great tips on this thread, men!!! Thanks!!!