Another Guy Looking for a Router :)

Old 02-03-08, 07:29 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another Guy Looking for a Router :)

I guess there are a few of us lately

I am actually looking at the Dewalt DW618PK.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=5601

I picked it up for $180 but have not opened the box yet as I want to make sure I am getting the best router/accessories for the money. I am just starting to get into woodworking (I am building my first cabinet!) and have found that having the right tools makes me really enjoy what i am doing. Does this router sound like a good machine for the money? Or, do you guys know of something better for the novice woodworker who hopes to have many years of woodworking ahead of him?

As always, thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-08, 08:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Not a bad buy! It will give you the versatility of a fixed base router with the adaptability to a plunge router. Micro plunge is nice. I didn't see in the ad whether it was a single collet size (1/4") or whether it would adapt to 1/2". The larger collet would be great for cutting panels, and other larger work, but if you aren't into that, then the 1/4" collet will be just fine.

Old 02-03-08, 08:09 AM
C
Received 89 Votes on 68 Posts
I have the DeWalt 618PK router. I don't have any major complaints about it, but I'm not sure that it's the best around. I bought it because it was on sale, I was in the market and it had a $40 rebate to boot.

I was in HD a couple of weeks ago and was browsing a woodworking mag that had an article comparing/rating routers. IIRC the highest rated in this HP range was a Bosche. Porter Cable (a good router, I've got one about 10 years old) also fared well. The DeWalt also did OK but there were complaints about changing bits and a couple of other small irritants. I don't remember the specifics.

You can visit Amazon and read some owner reviews on various routers.

BTW - Visit the DeWalt site. they may still have the $40 rebate available. You have to print the coupon from their site and fill it out along with proof of purchase.

Last edited by cwbuff; 02-03-08 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added rebate comment
Old 02-03-08, 12:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I have basically the same kit with just a couple more accessories and I like it just fine.

Old 02-03-08, 12:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
If you plan to use it in a router table very much, models with a height adjustment crank arm (adjustment is done from above with the router in the table underneath) are handy. Not saying you should return it- just something to consider.

I have a Bosch plunge router mounted in my router table and it works fine- just isn't always quite as easy to adjust. The micro-adjustment helps though.

Old 02-11-08, 07:56 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey All,

Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying the DW618PK w/a bonus 3 base + guide kit. I ended up getting it for $215 after a 10% off coupon and the $40 instant manu. rebate. I felt like it was the best deal. Since I'll only be using it for projects around my house I figured it should be more than sufficient.

Thanks again!