Angles for Quarter Round

Old 02-05-08, 06:53 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angles for Quarter Round

Hello

I just completed a walk in closet set against a 90 degree wall going upward against a 45 degree slope. The question is how do I get quarter round molding running horizontally along the top board that is mounted on the 45 slope vaulted ceiling to join perfectly with the quarter round coming up the 90 degree side wall. Please see pic

I need help with the area in the upper left corner of the pic. You can see where the horizontal board along the top (on the vaulted ceiling) meets the vertical board along the side wall. How do I get the quarter round molding to match up at the very top left of the closet with the same molding running down the wall?

Pic
http://picasaweb.google.com/jxk716/C...15394404951618

I have a power compound miter and have tried some cuts...just can't nail it.

Last edited by jxk716; 02-05-08 at 07:32 AM. Reason: wrong pic address
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-08, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
The two will not line up because they do not appear to be in the same plane. A closeup of the corner would help, but I don't think any type of mitered corner is possible. I think the best you can do is install the horizontal one first, then install the vertical one (cut long to extend all the way up to the ceiling with an angle on top to match the angle of the ceiling), then cope the vertical piece with a rasp where it will overlap the horizontal one, since the horizontal one likely bumps out into the vertical one.

Old 02-05-08, 05:07 PM
J
a close up

Thanks, good info...here is a close up...what do you think?
http://picasaweb.google.com/jxk716/C...65881469069042

Old 02-05-08, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
Yeah, that's kind of how I pictured it. It would have been better if that top piece of plywood would have been cut at a 45 so that its face would be plumb- and flush with the side pieces... but hindsight is 20-20. Maybe instead of trying to trim all those edges with 1/4 round you could run a solid board across the top like a valance. If the board was cut at a 45 on top it would match the angle of the ceiling and fit up tight. (a straight board all the way across the top will highlight irregularities in the ceiling, but any gaps could be skimmed and feathered to meet the board with joint compound later.) Then any 1/4 round you put on the sides would butt up into (under) that valance.

Old 02-05-08, 05:39 PM
J
the valance

Thanks for replying so quickly. You have some good ideas for the valance. Yeah, I wish now I did cut the edge of the top board at a 45 bevel but thats life.

Old 02-05-08, 05:46 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
Yeah, that's kind of how I pictured it. It would have been better if that top piece of plywood would have been cut at a 45 so that its face would be plumb- and flush with the side pieces... but hindsight is 20-20. Maybe instead of trying to trim all those edges with 1/4 round you could run a solid board across the top like a valance. If the board was cut at a 45 on top it would match the angle of the ceiling and fit up tight. (a straight board all the way across the top will highlight irregularities in the ceiling, but any gaps could be skimmed and feathered to meet the board with joint compound later.) Then any 1/4 round you put on the sides would butt up into (under) that valance.
yeah! i agree with xsleeper. a valance would look better and eliminate the compound angle question. the quarter-round probably wouldn't look good at the top anyway because the distance from the bottom of the plywood to the ceiling is over 3/4 inch which would leave a gap at the top.