Tool rental

Old 02-06-08, 08:14 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tool rental

I am starting a project that requires 3/4 red oak lumber, I have found an online supplier that is about 50% cost of my local yard (including shipping) however to take the 100 board feet from 4/4 to 3/4 they want an additional $180. For that money I can almost buy, and definatly rent a planer and do the job myself.

So my question is where in the Orlando metro area can I find a planer for rental?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-08, 12:49 PM
Google "Orlando FLorida equipemnt rental"

I got about 8 hits - didn't investigate further but if that's not adequate, try the Orlando Chamber of commerce or better busines bureau

Old 02-06-08, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
For the cost of the planer knives and running red oak through them, you couldn't pay me $200 to run it through mine. If the rental place is ok with it, you will be fine. Plus, if you are trying to match existing wood in your house, if you only plane one surface, your tongue and groove will be offset and won't fit. Just food for thought.

Old 02-06-08, 02:44 PM
I would be really surprised if you could find a planer for rent

look for a used one , use it and sell it

Old 02-06-08, 02:58 PM
J
Have you tried a local lumberyard for 3/4 stock(NOT BIG BOX)??? It is usually ready to go except for sanding. But you did not say 3/4 X ???

Old 02-06-08, 03:29 PM
T
@ George
I tried that, couldn't find any online inventory pages, and didn't have the time to go calling them, I was hoping someone here might know of a place...

@ chandler
I am building a bed, so there will be no issues with matching existing stock, my idea is to buy rough stock, take 1/8 inch of both sides to end up at 3/4

@ mango man
Not a bad idea I will look into it, I am also fairly close to a Harbor Freight so if the worst comes to the worst, I might wind up in there

@ Just Bill
The local place wants about $7.50/board foot at 4/4, the online place is $134 for 100 board feet (plush shipping etc) I need in the region of 75-80 board feet.

Old 02-07-08, 10:03 AM
C
Received 89 Votes on 68 Posts
toftat - There are a number of suppliers on line that sell 3/4" S4S red oak. Prices vary depending on width. I recently bought some 3/4" quarter sawn in 8' length for a bit over $3 a lineal foot.

Try googling red oak lumber.

Old 02-07-08, 01:08 PM
T
That's also a good idea, I can get an idea of how much of each width from the plans, and place an order for just enough just wide enough, that should hopefully do the trick

Old 02-11-08, 08:56 AM
T
Just to close the loop on this thread, I took the advice mentioned above and found online the bairdbrothers website. They offer red oak finished to the dimensions I need, so I will use them

Thanks guys.