adding a new finish to a pine shelf.

Old 02-06-08, 08:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question adding a new finish to a pine shelf.

I would like some help with a project. I have oil stained and and used a spray no sand minwax varnish. After three coats it is still very rough, we would like to try a paint varnish now. Which I know, I should have used in the first place. My question is will these products work together and should a sand before the first new coat. Thanks for helping.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-08, 03:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I wasn't aware that there was a 'no sand' varnish Sanding is always neccessary when painting/varnishing wood.

There shouldn't be a problem with brushing varnish/poly over the sprayed on varnish. Sand [and dust] with 180-220 grit before applying another coat. Sand easy so you don't sand off any of the stain. It should come out good after 2 coats [sand between coats]

Old 02-07-08, 04:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The only addition I would make would be to use the same brand as the spray varnish - to avoid any possibility of incompatibility.

I often use a brush on finish for the first two coats when refinishing furniture, sand them out, and use an aerosole (same brand) as the final coat to wind up with a dead smooth surface - no brush marks at all.