Decks Over Int. Space?

Old 02-08-08, 05:55 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Decks Over Int. Space?

I'm looking to design an exterior deck space over interior space. I don't want to use the vinyl "Duradeck" style product because I don't like the look and I'm scared that the heat might eventually degrade the product. I've seen a little about concrete decks & also considered building a deck over an EPDM roof. Any experience out there with this situation??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-08, 10:51 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We did one at our vacation house on the very rainy northcoast of California--it has worked out really well with no problems. We used all full dimension redwood and first put up 2x12 joists...then we ripped 2x6s in a jig we built on an angle that gave a 1/4" in 12" pitch...we numbered all of those so they would stay matched. Then we used long lag bolts to bolt the bottom halves directly to the 2x12 joists. Then we just put our plywood on top of that, which gave us our 1/4 12 pitch. We put down a modified bitumen, or torch down roof on top of that and then we put down small squares of mod/bit over the joists where another set of lags went down through the upper halves of the previously ripped 2x6s, which brought it all back to level with a waterproof roof sandwiched in there. Then we put the standard redwood deck on top of that...people who visit will look over the rail and go "hey, how come there's a gutter there?". Anyway, it works well and we would do it that way again.